questions about worms

Status
Not open for further replies.
hiya, right here goes............. just started my 5 month olds ( holly and kryten) on worms today they was on crickets but was told worms were fine for them, so wot i want to know is, wots the best type of worm for them, i fed them on meal worm today but ive been told they are not that good for them so when the mealies have been devoured ill change worms, by the way they are 10 inches long including their tail. thanx all

jharris08

Juvie Member
yea mealworms have hard chitin exoskeletons that are not good for your dragons Digestive tract.
worms that are good for dragons are reptiworms and silkworms...both are high in calcium and relatively easy to take care of..plus no smell that comes with crickets!

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
Rule of thumb for superworms is when your dragon is approximately 16" you can introduce them into their diet - start with one or two and increase day by day. They do sell micros however, that you might be able to get away with feeding younger dragons (mulberryfarms.com) - again introduce them slowly, make sure your dragon can digest them, and poop ok. Be aware, supers are a dragon fav, so offer variety of bugs with the supers so your dragon doesn't refuse other feeders...

Reptiworms are great for the younger dragons, and are very nutritious staple.

The best worms are phoenix/repti worms or silkworms. But variety is key. Use a combonation of both of those and occasionally add in some superworms (when they are a little bigger), hornworms, butter worms and sometimes waxworms. You may even want to feed some crickets every once and a while just to give them variety. :)

sarah82

i give pheonix, silk and small suppers. she is 13 inches and hasnt had any issues with not pooping. ive been giving her suppers sence we got her. :) try a variety for sure! also its true they loooove suppers so be carefull!!

sarah82

sorry ya meant super worms. and im not sure where youd get them. i live in canada and get them from a pet store.

kdoney

I started feeding my beardie superworms and now thats all he ll eat. He wont eat anything else. Sometimes lettuce here and there.. Hes getting fat from it too

colinTheReptile

Mealworms are terrible for beardies, id only recommend feeding mealies to beardies you are desperately trying to get weight on. Not only do they hold.very little nutritional value, they are very fattening and hard on the digestive system due to high chitin content, gut loaded crickets are a much better option. Crickets are crazed omnivores and will eat anything to drop in the cricket box. Get creative. You're beardie will thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom