Question about eggs

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys my Amber laid a ton of eggs last year and I was wondering if it's a fluke or if it'll happen every year over and over and over again?

When she first laid them it was stressful for both of us and I wanna do the right thing and if I can't properly care for her again this year I may need to re-home my babies 💔💔.

Note: i lost my mother a few days ago and I really don't wanna lose Amber or Chubbs but I wanna do the responsible thing and make tough decisions.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
First of all I want to send my deepest condolences for the loss of your mom, this must be a very difficult time for you and my heart goes out to you !

As for the egg laying, how did it affect Amber ? It is a natural thing, most of my girls laid lots of eggs but came through alright.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
First of all I want to send my deepest condolences for the loss of your mom, this must be a very difficult time for you and my heart goes out to you !

As for the egg laying, how did it affect Amber ? It is a natural thing, most of my girls laid lots of eggs but came through alright.
Thank you and she had a ton of eggs and she had to pack on weight afterwards right now she has the zoomies all over her enclosure.

I mean I can deal with 1-2 times a year but 5+ times in 4-5 months with 30+ eggs per clutch is insane I just worry about her well-being I'm grateful Chubbs isn't a egg layer too.

She wants out all day everyday which obviously isn't possible I just want her to be calm and relaxed and not so energetic and bobbing her head at Chubbs.

She also only goes to the bathroom OUTSIDE her enclosure as well and MULTIPLE times a day (1-3 times)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah my girls laid loads of eggs and it does get stressful at times. Try keeping her in a designated room with newspaper on the floor for an hour a day and keep her in the renclosure the rest of the time. Make sure she has a big laybox with plenty substrate to dig in.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear you lost your mother recently, that is awful. That does make it harder to be able to properly care for pets because it is stressful.
As AHBD stated, there are things that you can do to try & minimize egg laying. It is always possible that she wont repeat the egg laying to that extent, but do your best right now with her.

Tracie

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah my girls laid loads of eggs and it does get stressful at times. Try keeping her in a designated room with newspaper on the floor for an hour a day and keep her in the renclosure the rest of the time. Make sure she has a big laybox with plenty substrate to dig in.
Her lay box I emptied it out last year so need to refill it if she lays again this year

Attachments

• IMG_20230509_142342.jpg
    IMG_20230509_142342.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230510_122359.jpg
    IMG_20230510_122359.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 18

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hello,

I am sorry to hear you lost your mother recently, that is awful. That does make it harder to be able to properly care for pets because it is stressful.
As AHBD stated, there are things that you can do to try & minimize egg laying. It is always possible that she wont repeat the egg laying to that extent, but do your best right now with her.

Tracie
Thank you and yes the egg laying process is stressful for both of us and re-homing them is a last resort it's just tough with everything going on atm if I re-home then I don't think I'll ever forgive myself.

As a owner and a responsible one I gotta do what's best for them not for me 😔

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a nice laybox, many dragons really like the privacy or the feeling that they're in a cave right away because it's dark in there.

Right now you're going through a load of stress, just hang in there with the dragons and you'll think more clearly in a few weeks or months.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom