Protesting Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe7x

So dante has been doing great he's big, he loves baths, normally loves being held and just eats anything i give him (veggy wise) well, money got tight for me, where crickets every day wasn't possible so i started using beardie bites. For the first 3 weeks or so he just destroyed them, as soon as the bowl hit the tank he was eating them. Well now he won't eat anything but crickets. Tried superworms,all veggies i had, grapes, and nothings appealing to him. I can't afford crickets every day 3 times a day for him cuz the cheapest i can get them around me is 10cents a cricket.

is this normal for them to protest food? Any cheap feeders that i can try? *dubias are out of the question, I'd love them but the wife is a no go with roaches no matter how many times i try to show her*

http://www.petco.com/product/111816/Nature-Zone-Bearded-Dragon-Bites-Reptile-Food.aspx?CoreCat=BeardedDragonHPFood

vampy

Juvie Member
It's pretty normal for them to go through phases with what is their favourite food, most people give in to them and let them have whatever it is they want, but if he's an adult, it's fine to only offer him what YOU want him to eat, and if he doesn't eat for a couple of days it's no big deal, he'll hopefully eat what you have available if he's hungry enough.

Oh, I just read that you're feeding him 3 times a day, in which case I assume he's still very young....but you're offering supers, so he can't be THAT small...I'm confused!

Either way, have you thought about ordering crickets online? They are way way cheaper that way, and you just need a plastic tub with some egg crates in to keep them in, and some gutload/cereal/veggies to feed them. I'm in the UK, so prices might vary a bit compared to over there, but I pay about 1p per cricket, including postage.

If you're really stapped for cash, you could breed your own crickets. They are annoying and stinky and I don't want to ever have to do it, but it's cheaper and less stressful than not being able to afford to feed your little guy.

FuzzyNavel

Ordering bulk crickets online is far cheaper than buying from local pet stores as well. You could try that and hope he switches back to eating veggies and bites in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom