Poop analysis good, but poop is still extremely smelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyhawk42

Hatchling Member
Some time back I sent in a sample of my beardie's feces for analysis. I fully expected a pinworm / coccidiosis infection because her poop smells just awful. It's so bad I clean it up instantly to get rid of the smell, hating every second of it. ACK! Awful.

The analysis was: "This is one of the cleanest samples I've ever seen." There were only a couple of oocysts. That's it.

I have no way of knowing how a full-grown beardie's feces should smell because this is my first beardie.

At one point, her feces became much larger, maybe because that kink in the gut I read about got bigger. I never bothered to smell her feces up close. By the time the feces was huge, I didn't have to get close to smell it. It is gag-worthy.

I'm not sure what, if anything, to do. Fecal sample = clean. What now?

She isn't fully tame and I don't think forcing medicine down her throat will improve our relationship. When she was small, I was worried she'd get lost in the clutter of my apartment. Now I'm afraid to freak her out. I've always fed her by hand. Lately, I've been getting her to come out for the crickets before she realizes what I'm doing. :) Post-feeding, she suddenly realizes she's a long way from her terrarium and freaks out. I don't like scaring her, but food seems a positive way to interact. Perhaps I should put her back before she realizes feeding time is over?

One problem is she often assumes I have a cricket and bites my fingers inadvertently. Ouch! If she isn't in feeding mode, she freaks out and wants to go back to the terrarium.

Some advice on 1) taming and 2) the smell of her poop would be welcome. :)

With my snakes, I just handled them until they calmed down. Is this inadvisable with the beardie? I don't want to scare her.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Dragon poo is smelly and some foods make it smell even worse. Not really anything you can do besides clean it as soon as you can. What do you feed besides crickets?
Parasite smell is different, it will literally make you gag and stink up the whole house.

You need to handle her more, she won't get used to you if you keep catering to her fear. Take her out, let her run around a safe room. hold her when she is sleepy, pet her often while in her cage.
You should probably stop feeding by hand. Its ok to drop bugs in front of her but having her take them from your fingers encourages accidental bites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beardies4life
Top Bottom