POLL: bottom or top heat for Dubia's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
mrjayd":34179 said:
Well I use my temp gun and it is in the 90's all the way to the bottom of the tub and they are breeding like crazy so it must be working.

Ihaggerty1313":34179 said:
Remember... Heat rises. You want you heat to rise thru your colony. Unlike reptiles and other animals Roaches don't need sunlight and though a CHE helps it won't thoroughly heat your colony to the temps that you need it.

-Ian

You keep a decent room temp then and you are absolutely correct, the CHE will act as a stabilizer and maintain the correct temps. One step ahead of most people in that aspect. Heat = LOTS o' roaches. Hopefully you have a lot of lizards cuz your gonna need em'! :D

-Ian

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
Blaptica Dubia can handle less humidity than most roaches. Humidity is much easier to control using a plastic sterilite tub w/ a 8x8 or 10x10 hole cut into the lid, and a heat pad under the tub. Keep a full dish of water crystals in the tub at all times and a constant temp of 85 degrees. This will put your humidity somewhere between 40-50%. If you don't use a lid or have too big of a hole in the top of your tub your going to be letting too much warm air escape, and when that happens it's next to impossible to keep any kind of humidity inside your enclosure.

-Ian

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Bottom heat for sure with temps at mid 90s, it's the most efficient. Let the roaches climb their furniture to find the right temp in the temp gradient. You just need to keep an eye on your source of water.

Jeff

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
garnothegreat":972c8 said:
i have a human heatpad on the side of the tub should i switch it to the bottom on the inside or outside

Sit the tub right on top of it. Don't put it on the inside.

-Ian

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
I use bottom heat too!!! I use a 2' stip of 11" heat tape on each of my bins. One is new and doesn't have adults yet but, they are getting there fast. The other is breeding like crazy. I have hundreds of little nymphs running around everyday and I feed probably close to 50 nymph roaches of various sizes every day. I have found that the more roaches you have the higher the humidity is naturally.

JD, if it works you don't have to fix it!!!

Ernie

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
i just use a small dog waterer that holds a quart or so of water. . . it works out perfectly and it last about 2 weeks so i disturb them less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom