Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deniselee

I just noticed that my beardy has something under its lower belly,near its hip bones.A few days ago, his poop looked like it had blood in it. But today I'm not sure if its his poop or not, because the whole thing is red.Its kind of like a clot of blood and is about one centimeter.I thought that it could be his organ or intestine, if that's possible. My beardy is about 6 inches and is a juvenile. But my beardy looks like he's in a lot of pain and I would really appreciate if someone gave me some feedbacks on what to do. Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Denise... I'm so sorry...it sounds like a rectal prolapse. this can happen when they strain hard to go poo. It's truly an emergency, and even more so if it's been a few days. If you can get him to an emergency reptile vet, they may put it back in. Until then, soak him in shallow sugar water [ about 1/2 inch deep with about teaspoon or so of sugar. ] This can help reduce swelling. If that doesn't work [ and you want to set up a warm light while he's in the cool water ] then a vet must be seen. Keep him off loose stuff like sand, and keep it moist until you see a vet. If no vet is available, you must gently push it back in if it doesn't go back on it's own. He won't survive long otherwise.

Spikey07

Juvie Member
Is there any way that you can post a picture?

You should gently bathe him in luke warm water.

It is possible that it could be a prolapse of his intestine, which can be caused if he has strained too much when going to the toilet.

If this is the case then it would be a good idea to remove any hard/rough items from his cage. Replace substrate with paper towel if it is a particle substrate and use a towel as a basking platform for now. You should get him checked over by a vet.

How often does he normally poo?
Is he well hydrated? Do you bath him and if so how often? Does he drink water? Does he eat veg?
What do you feed him and how much?
Do you dust livefood with calcium and vitamins? If so how often?
What type and brand of UVB are you using? Is it a tube or coil bulb?
What substrate do you use?
What is the normal consistency of his poo. Is it hard?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that's a rectal prolapse, and it must go back in. Did you try the cool [ not warm ]sugar water ? It may help to reduce swelling. If that doesn't work and you don't have a vet, get a wet Q-tip and gently push it back. You can do it, I've done it myself many years ago. If it doesn't go back in , he won't survive.Poor you, and poor beardie !

deniselee

Original Poster
AHBD- We just tried that and it seems like its not working. Should we press harder? Also, it looks like it has come out even more and the Q-tip is kind of covered with blood. Is that normal to have a little bit of blood? Will my beardie survive until tomorow with this rectal prolapse?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is there no reptile vet that will see him ? If not, you have to get it back in. You can wait until tomorrow if you have no vet now and can get to one tomorrow, I can't tell you if he'll survive. Otherwise, you can try just your finger covered with smooth wetted gauze, or just your finger....gently but firmly push it back in.

deniselee

Original Poster
We are still trying to push it back in, with no luck. We are not sure how much pressure to put on it.Will it start bleeding heavily if we press too forcefully?

deniselee

Original Poster
After it's been pushed in, what can I do to make him more comfortable? And in the morning, what is the best thing I can do before taking him to the vet?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Has it gone in Denise ? I'm so sorry this has happened to your baby. The only other things to do until you get him to a vet [ if it's still hanging out ] put some karo syrup, or make a paste with sugar by wetting it down, or better yet, put honey on it [ mix with a few drops warm water to make it easier to apply ], this keeps it moist and can reduce swelling. Keep him on paper towels , no sandy substrate, and take all the cage furniture out. If you want, put a soft, small rolled up towel for him to sleep on.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Thanks for letting me know that it went back in....I truly hope that he recovers , that it stays put and that by feeding some baby food with extra water that he will not feel the urge to strain when he needs to poo. There is a product called carnivore care [ I'm not sure if it can be bought in stores or just the vets.] that is good for weak beardies, maybe you can get ahold of some of that, it might be helpful in his condition now if he doesn't want to eat much at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom