Pictures of Toa as he grows

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexus465

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well we finally got Toa a new home! I'm excited to get it all set up. It appears to be homemade, we got it off Craigslist. So we want to make a few upgrades, it only has two vents in the top back and the light fixture is bolted to the inside. So the husband is going to make it so the lights will sit on top (except UVB, of course) so that Toa can't burn himself and add another vent or two. The exterior dimensions are 49L X 26H X 22W, interior in about 2 inches less for each. It is a bit smaller than what we wanted to build but for the price and to save time and frustration it was a great deal.

We got some awesome slate tiles for the bottom...

So many colors and fossils!

So hopefully we will get it finished and him in by this weekend!

Here is a bonus Toa climbing the screen door.

He managed to make it up to the door handle of the screen before he decided to let go... my hand was right there so I gave him a nice slow decent back to the ground. Silly Toa. :lol:

lexus465

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So for a few months there has been an older dragon at Petco just begging (well our friends that work there were begging) to be taken home. Since we finally got a larger home for Toa and she had been moved to the back because of her large size we decided that she shouldn't have to grow up in the back room at Petco. We finally brought her home a few nights ago and she is soo sweet!! We got her for 60% off, plus $10 off for being pals members and $5 off for the cash back, we got her for only $25! It was kind of funny they had to put a reason in for the discount and the manager said to put "cosmetically imperfect"... we laughed because she is the cutest 'little' girl and has no nips or anything. When we got her home she was completely pancaked out even after being put in her viv, so naturally I wanted to name her pancake. The husband wanted to keep with the name theme and use a Maori name... the compromise... Panikeke or Keke for short! It means pancake in Maori. :lol: I'll have to weigh and measure her when I get home.

Here is her cute little face!

Here she is all snuggled in for the night.

I think she looks very dragon like here.

Toa's new viv came along pretty nicely, we might do a few more adjustments but I like it so far.

We recessed the heat lamp so there is no chance of him getting burned.

We are using a LED bulb for the other side. We still need to put in the longer UVB bulb, we need to find a longer fixture.

Here he is checking it out for the first time.

Now we just need to put his new hammock in and some sort of branch or extra thing in there to give him something to climb on.

So far they have only seen each other through the glass. Toa head bobbed and she arm waved. Does anyone know if this is a good or bad sign? I am planning on waiting a while before I try to do any highly supervised introduction. Anyway, thanks for checking out my wall of text!

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Toa head bobbing is his way of saying that he's the boss and her arm wave shows that she's submissive and won't fight it. Be careful with face to face interactions because beardies can be quick to do the deed. :roll:

lexus465

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, that's what I thought. As much as I want them to be friends I don't want to risk injury. Any tips on trying introductions?

Thanks! I was told she is around four months old. Which funny enough is how old we were told Toa was when we got him.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I would have Toa sit on one lap and Keke sit on another facing each other and have your hands ready to grab. It's going to be hard with Keke being a girl, as Toa will have his urges so they should never be close. Good luck!

lexus465

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ah yeah, I don't want any babies! Lol. I'll make sure to take it slow and cautiously. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom