Parasites.vet necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikey92

Juvie Member
Im afraid Spikey has parasites :?
Shes totally active,eating like a mashine and just seems to be a happy Juvi :)
She poops once a day.Sometimes twice(whenever she eats more than normal :p) her poo always stank a little but over the last couple weeks the smell got stronger.Especially if its "fresh" and when I pick it up.
It looks normal (in normal shape,normal colour and the urate is white and not hard.) and her poo comes with a little bit of water. The carpet is actually kinda soaked wherever she poos.

Anyways , Ive heard that a strong foul smell indicates parasites.But would I see some other symptoms? Because like I said she looks fine &healthy.

I was also wondering if there are any homeopathic remedies I could give her.It would help her if she has parasites but wouldnt harm her if she hasnt.
I know if i want to know for sure I need to get a fecal done but the closest repti vet is an hour from here and my boyfriend and I are just students so we try to save as much money as possible.

So what do you guys think?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
How old is she? And what do you feed her? Some greens can cause smelly poops, but parasite poop is really smelly. The excess liquid just means she's well hydrated, it's just excess water she's getting rid of, not a concern. The smelly poop, though, is. Some dragons have parasites & never stop eating, some do. It's really hard to tell without a fecal exam to determine if she has them or not. Sometimes they get rid of them on their own. One thing I'd do is get some Acidopholuz, or feed her soy yoghurt, these are probiotics that may help her rid herself of them herself. Also, if you have carpet in her tank, make sure you wash it really well in soapy, really hot, water to make sure there are no bacteria left behind. In fact, I'd switch out the carpeting for newspaper or paper towels for now. You can wait a week or so to see if the smell gets stronger, then it would be important to get a fecal done. Can you just drop off a sample to the vet or would they insist on having her in for a checkup? I've been seeing the same vet for a few years, so I can drop off a sample if I think one of mine has parasites. They don't always go away on their own. Let me know what you decide. I know it's hard, financially, but you really need to put some $ away for a vet, just in case.

Spikey92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I actually have no idea how old she is.When we bought her in September she was approx. 6 inches long and they told us she was 4 months old.I now highly doubt it :D She now is about 11 inches (i think)

Thats her viewtopic.php?f=49&t=177984

I feed her crickets twice a day (on the occassion worms instead) and I make her a fresh salad every morning/lunch. I am VERY lucky cause she loves greens.Doesnt care for fruit though. I mainly feed her Dandelion which she loves + Acorn/Butternut squash. I can sometimes find a little orange in her poo but I think thats her squash.

We do have some money in the savings but Id rather keep it for a real emergency with her.Just the check up would be around 70 dollars + the fecal exam for about 50$.Thats what the vet told me.
May I ask where your vet is located at as you live in new westminster and we live in Langley and the only repti vet i could find is in Maple Ridge.

Thanks for your tips.I wash the carpet quite often with hot water.Do you think I could also put it in the freezer as thats what you can do with stuffies and sheets for kids which had lice. Then maybe the hot water + freezing it would kill it all.Spikey would stay on paper towel until it gets better and she hopefully gets rid of them all.
If all that doesnt work out we'll go to a vet.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
My vet is SharonPrus at the Exotic Vet @ 902-7380 King George, Surrey. Her phone# 604-597-7387. I can't remember how much she charges for a visit but I think it's about $50 + fecal is $20. They're open on Saturdays, too. I've been seeing her since 2006 and she's a wonderful vets and loves dragons. She's seen all of mine over the years, and has done a wonderful job. I'd highly recommend her & she's easier to get to than Maple Ridge. Just call to make an appointment & they give you directions.

I really would recommend a visit/fecal, and make sure it's fresh the day of the appointment or latest the day before. She's very thorough, but doesn't work there every day. The other vet is great, too, they both are very knowledageable about dragons.

How is she doing today? Still stinky? It's up to you. If you were feeding her collard greens, that could cause a smell, but not a very strong one. So let me know. We'll have to get together one day. I have 5 male adults & 2 geckos, a 7 yr old female crestie named Bunny & a golden gecko named Rocco.

Let me know what you want to do.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I just read your other thread, so you may want to wait until you're back to figure out about the parasites. It might not be a good idea to leave meds with your dragonsitter (you're so lucky to have found someone you can keep her with while you're gone. So call the vet & make an appointment for when you get back, a few days won't matter & you'll see when you get back if her poops are still smelly or if they've stopped.

Spikey92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks again .
I'll definitely call the vet &explain our financial situation and ask if I can just bring the fecal in. I mean Spikey is doing great,its not that she stopped eating or is lethargic.
But youre right I might wanna go to the vet once were back cause the next days are gonna be stressfull enough with all the christmas shopping etc. And like I said shes still(*knock on wood) eating a lot,active,running around,using mummy &daddy as a playground etc. .If she starts laying around ,doesnt wanna eat or looses weight I'll go asap & I trust the Dragonsitter enough that I know theyd go to the vet incase were still in NS.
So for now I'll keep her on paper towel ,wash the carpet in hot water and antibacterial detergent and then put it in the freezer afterwards. I'll also buy the soy yoghurt and then we gotta wait.
I'll keep you updated.
Thanks again. And yea we should really get together one day. Id love to see all your boys :) ( and the other critters too of course :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom