Our 2 rescue Beardies, {found on Craigslist}

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi All,
I'm relatively new to this site. I have a story I want to share. I hope no one minds. I think this is the right place but please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section! I didn't know who else to tell it to who would understand besides my son and husband. My adult son, daughter-in-law and grands have 3 bearded dragons. They take excellent care of them! The large one Pandora, lives in a huge beautiful enclosure my son built and they just got 2 babies about 2.5 inches in a 30 gal. They have all the right stuff, UVB lights, basking areas, veggies and lots of insects, soaks and lots of attention and love. They also raise their own crickets and have a dubia roach colony. I fell in love with Bearded Dragons and as 50 something retirees with lots of time on our hands, I told my husband I would like to get one. We started reading everything we could to educate ourselves since we new they were exotic and had special requirements. I joined this site and we have spent weeks reading and learning all we could on line. I also picked my sons brain since he is a fanatic about his beardies and is very experienced and informed about them. Then feeling somewhat confident that we would be good beardie care takers and having high hopes of finding the "perfect" beardie, I started looking on craigslist figuring if someone was looking to re-home a beardie it would be like getting a pet from a shelter, one that no-one really wants anymore. I found an ad for 2 beardies, a male and female, and all their stuff, tanks, lights and all for $150. I thought "Wow, that sounds like a good deal". Well, we got there to see the dragons. After seeing them for 10 seconds I said "SOLD" and bought them and brought them home. Tank, lights and all their stuff amounted to one 45 gal tank, one 55 gal tank, {one for each} 2 filthy water dishes, 2 light fixtures with regular house light bulbs in them, and tank tops. The dragons were living in separate newspaper lined bare tanks, in the unfinished damp basement and from the looks of the beardies I believe that the paper had just been changed for my appointment to see them as the beardies themselves were dirty and had dried poop on them as well as old dark shed still attached in places and they were very skinny. :( One of the beardies had some black toes hanging off a hind leg. When asked, he didn't know what happened to the foot, "it was just like that one day" :angry5: This "owner" said he fed them kale and carrots "every couple of days" and he "even bought them crickets once in a while for a treat" :banghead: OMG, I couldn't pay him fast enough or get them out of their fast enough. We stopped to the store on the way home, hubby waited in the car with our new little ones while I got dragon food and supplies, collards greens, mustard greens, squash, blueberries, pedialyte and some baby food veggies and and a baby food apricots and 2 baby toothbrushes. We got home and gave them a nice bath in warm water and got off the poop and some of the old darkened shed by VERY GENTLY brushing them with a soft baby's toothbrush. then after changing the water to clean warm water with some pedialyte added soaked them for about 15 minutes to try to hydrate them. Then I put antibiotic ointment on the foot with the dried black toes and we cuddled them both for a while. I knew they were hungry but they only ate a tiny bit of the greens with some squash I had cut up to very small pieces for them. I called my son and told him I had rescued a couple of beardies and could I get some crickets and a UVB bulb til I could get a couple of UVB bulbs and fixtures tomorrow. He brought me crickets and some roach nymphs {which the new little beauties just loved and went right after, } 2 of his extra UVB bulbs and thermometers. I love my son...lol :D He helped us set up the tanks with the lights and an elevated basking area as a temporary home for a couple of days. We got the basking temp to 100 and the cooler end to 80. I used paper towels as lining. The next day my husband and I took our 2 new family additions on an emergency appointment to the exotic pets/reptile vets for check-ups and to see what could be done with the blacken toes. Our Talan weighs 120g and is 13 inches long, our Moya weighs 144g and is 14 inches long...so very skinny looking! We have no idea how old they are, the "owner" was vague about it, and couldn't remember when he had got them! Both are female, which is just fine with us, we don't care one isn't a male. We love them already! The necrotic toes on Talan's back right foot, by a miracle, weren't infected and will fall off themselves. I told the vet the condition I had found them in and what we had done so far. The vet said I did good with the cleaning bath, the pedialyte soak, the live food and the antibiotic ointment to the foot and to continue the ointment on it til the toes fall off. I took a fecal on both of them with me. They are positive for hooks worms, giardia and a parasite. The vet told me she was glad I had rescued them, and wanted them in my care for at least a few days so I could feed them well and get them hydrated with soaks before I start them on the 3 meds she had prescribed for them. She thought I was an experienced beardie keeper. I told her these were our first beardies but that we read and tried to learn a lot about them, and that the stuff I had done to them I had read about on different dragon forums. I went and got some more baby food to have on hand in case they need some hand feeding during this medication therapy. One med is an antibiotic and may cause diarrhea. I have to go get some soy yogurt tomorrow to have on hand. I already have 2 bottles of pedialyte in case they need it for soaking. We start our beauties on their 3 meds tomorrow. They are both going to start taking Metronidazole, Albon and Panacur . I've decided to continue to house them separately, using these tanks with paper towel lining for easy cleaning thru this medication treatment but have added some hides and basking climbs. We figure we will get them the deluxe condos after their med treatments and illnesses are over. So these tank are their hospital tanks. I don't have pics yet but will get some up soon. I can't wait til they feel better and gain some weight. Any help, hints, comments or advice is not only welcome, it's wanted. They are starting to trust us when we hold them now. They totally relax and even dose off, though that could be because they are so sick, too. I'm worried about them like they were my own kids.....OMG they are!

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
lauraj1055":28j2ff5e said:
:blob8: What an awesome story.. now we want pictures..! :blob5:

YES! What Laura said :mrgreen: :blob5: As fast as you can! :headbang: *we really do love pics around here...I believe it is a requirement of the site :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

~Sherri

evanescent

Juvie Member
*shudders* necrotic toes?!
that sounds..awful ._.
so lucky they weren't infected.. :/
I recently had to amputate one of my rescue baby's toes 'cuzza infection.
it was horrible. >.<

i'm sure with lots of love and care you guys can fatten them up a bit (;
but wow, they're so light.. ;^;

wish you the best of luck. ^.^

oh, and I agree with everyone else! we need pictures! ^_^<3

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi All,
I finally got pics of my new little rescue beardies. They are cleaned up of the poop, the old news paper print that stained their feet, legs and tummy's. Much of the old darkened shed has been gently soaked and baby toothbrushed away from their bodies. Both of their tails were blackened about 2 inches on the ends and looked almost hopeless when I got them but looking much better now as more and more of the old blackened shed comes off with olive oil applications and gentle brushing everyday in their soak. One of Talans necrotic toes has already fallen off {nice, clean and pink thanks to 3 times a day application of antibiotic ointment to them}. The one remaining necrotic toe is almost off and looking nice and pink on the foot. You can see the one remaining black toe in the pic. That one is Talan, the other is Moya. They are eating like there's no tomorrow, trying the healthy greens and veggies and a little fruit too. They are loving the dusted crickets, some super worms and a few wax worms every day. They are so under weight I'm feeding them 4 times a day and I let them eat til they stop eating on their own. They are on all 3 of their meds and doing surprisingly well. They are tough little troopers and have become so trusting in such a short period of time. They will step into our hands to be picked up and lay on our shoulders and they don't want to go back in their tanks and actually cling to us to be held. I love it!. Big change from the frightened little beardies I had to catch in their old "home" on the 3rd of August! Well, here they are on my photo bucket page. I hope this works.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd262/Mtqueen3/100_2532.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd262/Mtqueen3/100_2531.jpg

evanescent

Juvie Member
Here you go, to make things easier on the forum people ;)

100_2532.jpg

100_2531.jpg

evanescent

Juvie Member
that toe looks scary, but other than that they look healthy and happy!
I'm glad they've improved so fast..
maybe fatten them up a bit though..
but sadly by the standards of the rescue forum, they don't look so bad.
that's probably because you've been feeding them so well, though!
. . .
keep up the great work. ^_^

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
They're both so pretty! I'm glad you saved them. But like ev said sadly, they're not bad for craigslist beardies =( . But wow their cute :mrgreen:

Phoebe

Hatchling Member
Your story was very nice to read and I'm glad you saved them! Your new babies are gorgeous. Keep us updated and welcome to the forum :)

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Congratulations on rescuing such cute beardies! I breaks my heart to know that people treat their pets so poorly, but people like you make me so happy! It's a lot of work to make them healthy, and you are doing an AMAZING job! Way to go!

BTW I love their names! I'm a HUGE Farscape fan :) Well done!

--Maggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom