Open mouth!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

InGoodHands

I have a little high spirited 5inch dragon,Today Maximus ate 8 or 9 crickets!(and yes they are within the space of his eyes) But I noticed he will hold his mouth open and look around like he is angry while basking. What is the cause for this behavior? I heard that a dragon will stop eating if he is full so I havnt had many worries. Is he just tyring to digest and stretch or something? maybe he is too hot? He could always move.(his cooler side is 80 deg, basking side 105 deg) Or is this a anoyyed type of behavior and he is stressing. Maybe my guitar is a little loud? buuut, he did this around the time I brang him home. I dunno, maybe he is just fiesty. I mist him several times a day too, so he gets water. What do you think?

acwood04

Hatchling Member
InGoodHands":3bccf said:
I have a little high spirited 5inch dragon,Today Maximus ate 8 or 9 crickets!(and yes they are within the space of his eyes) But I noticed he will hold his mouth open and look around like he is angry while basking. What is the cause for this behavior? I heard that a dragon will stop eating if he is full so I havnt had many worries. Is he just tyring to digest and stretch or something? maybe he is too hot? He could always move.(his cooler side is 80 deg, basking side 105 deg) Or is this a anoyyed type of behavior and he is stressing. Maybe my guitar is a little loud? buuut, he did this around the time I brang him home. I dunno, maybe he is just fiesty. I mist him several times a day too, so he gets water. What do you think?

This happens to me too, he is gaping, he has a cool side that is around 80 and a warm side in the 100's that I measure with a digital probe thermometer. Still tweaking the set up to get the temps perfect but he still gapes sometimes.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Chace does it too, not all the time, but i have caught him out a couple of times.

I think it might be similar to why dogs pant?

I actualy have no idea.. That was just a guess, lol..

bradlush

Its called venting, beardies do this to regulate their temps without having to move themselves...lazy little buggers :D

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
yeah no worries guys. They're just panting to cool down. I never understood at first why MJ would never JUST MOVE to the cool side. She'd rather wait for me to come mist her then move her fat butt !!!

Haha Zeus does that all the time. It's quite cute. He sometimes does it even when he's not basking, like, he was on my shoulder once and he randomly had his mouth wide open.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Aznrainbowdime":8fa53 said:
yeah no worries guys. They're just panting to cool down. I never understood at first why MJ would never JUST MOVE to the cool side. She'd rather wait for me to come mist her then move her fat butt !!!

speaking of misting, i try do it to Chace, but he just cloes his eyes, and dosent really lick water running down his nose :S

Any thoughts?

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
andrewlloyd":ed486 said:
Aznrainbowdime":ed486 said:

speaking of misting, i try do it to Chace, but he just cloes his eyes, and dosent really lick water running down his nose :S

Any thoughts?

She never licks water from her nose. She does the same thing.. when I mist her she closes her eyes and that's about it. Honestly.. I've had MJ for 3 months now and I have NEVER seen her drink water or lick water down her nose. Or maybe she does drink from her water bowl when Im not around but never in front of me. She does get her baths 3-5 times a week to keep her hydrated. But no worries with Chace.. my baby does the same exact thing =)

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Ahh, well thats good to know! Haha

Sorry to get off subject abit, but how often should you bath a baby?
I mist chace twice a day, and have given him one bath since i got him, which was about a week ago..

acwood04

Hatchling Member
I hear different things.. I guess as long as he gets enough water and stays hydrated you can bathe him once a week or every day.... When he poops look at the white peice that comes out first, if its hard and kinda dry, then he is in need of more hydration, so bathe him and or mist him more. If the white peice (urate) is damp or wet and soft then he is hydrated. I give my girl a bath about every other day and i keep a small water dish in her cage, I've seen her drink from it several times... I think its better to give baths more often than not just to get the beardie used to it.. some of them even like the baths and some hate them. While mine is little I am trying to give her baths regularly so she gets used to em and likes it. A friend of mine has a dragon about 12in long and he hates the bath, he splashes all over the place, but she didnt raise him since a baby so he didnt become acustomed to it..

Andylee

SaME HERE man, i noticed that Daebo's basking spot was a 110 moved it down to 103 ish still does it as means of cooling off ( so i hear) but not like he used to ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom