one eye open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get rid of the coil. I never used a coil on my beardie but I heard a lot about them and causing eye problems. I did use that same coil on my russian tortiose and he had the same problem. His eyes were always closed or he was gently open just one, he would also hide under his hutch a lot. I changed the bulb and got a powersun for him and now he is so much better.Get the reptisun 10.0 tube. It is the best UVB light on the market. I love it and so does my beardie.

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
10.0. Reptisun coil bulb. I will keep it off tomorrow and watch if he still does it....even for his bath today he had them closed or one eye open. I use clear 150 watt bulb from walmart for his heat.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
100%, it's the coil. There are tons of posts here about it. It could take up to 2 weeks for a beardie to recover from conjunctivitis.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=133577&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=161359
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=151609
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=144297

Tons of good info here: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

I have read that many companies have 'reformulated' their lights to make the safer, but I keep reading about beardies with the same issues over and over.
1. Who know's which companies have reformulated?
2. How do we know we're buying newly formulated coils/compacts? We might be buying old inventory.
3. How do we know the newly formulated lights are safe for our pets?
4. Now having the knowledge, why would you risk your dragons health? It's much safer just to get a reptisun 10.0 linear tube, than to risk getting a bad light.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
adkpugmom":35w9okzt said:
10.0. Reptisun coil bulb. I will keep it off tomorrow and watch if he still does it....even for his bath today he had them closed or one eye open. I use clear 150 watt bulb from walmart for his heat.
Only keeping the coil bulb off for one day isn't gonna make much difference as it takes their eyes time to heal. You could actually even keep it off 3 to 4 days or even a wk, won't do any harm at all. Actually, no UVB is better than continuing to use that one. Even if he is away from the coil bulb, the gritty and painful eyes don't go away at least for a few days so that is why he even has his eyes closed while in his bath.

What size thank is the 150 watt bulb in? Can you also fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using?

Is he eating anything? If so, how much?

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Why do they even sell these bulbs !!???? I.have.over a 50 gallon tank...its a big pet store one..... Temp is the dial kind usually at 100 to 110

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Many of the bulbs are ok for other reptiles. I did the same thing when I got my beardie. Had the wrong lighting, a reptiglo, petco let me take it back. Many large pet stores really only know general reptile knowledge, not alot about specific breeds.

Basking temps should be done with a digital thermometer, or a infrared temp gun. I have this one, under $10, and works well. http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digital-Terrarium-Thermometer/dp/B000MD3MFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340169988&sr=8-1&keywords=zoo+med+thermometer

The stick on dial thermometers will get you a general temp right where the dial is mounted, but the glass effects the temp reading. The basking spot is a surface temp, not air temp like the dial will read. Dials can be pretty inaccurate also. If the dial says 110, the basking spot could be 120-130.....or 80-90. It's really important to get the spot surface temp where your dragon will feel comfortable. If he doesn't bask because it's too hot, he can't digest his food. If it's too cold, he also will not be able to properly digest. My gut tells me he's too hot, and has a bum eye.

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ty so much. Its not just one eye he changes what.eye he closes....if my basking area is too hot would he move out of it ? Because he is alwys under it....i will get that digital...im not happy about having to rebuy everything :(

Gkettle

My little man has recently done the same, but only with one eye. We took him to the vet and they have confirmed my worst nightmare. His MBD from neglect with his previous owners has caused blindness in his right eye. :-( my poor baby. Gutted. I hate seeing him in pain/uncomfortable. It's also like he's had a stroke. He's a lot slower and clumsier. Over the last few weeks, his changes in behavior is like he's had a massive cerebral irritation. :-(

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
IMG_0722.jpg

This is his eye

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, he doesn't look good. Are you leaving the coil bulb off now? Did you get a digital probe thermometer?

He looks quite thin, what has he eaten in the last few days? How often are you bathing him and offering oral fluids?

It would also be a good idea to get a fecal sample checked for parasites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom