Odd things from a cork log from Petsmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyspark

Hatchling Member
My mother picked up on of those natural hollowed out cork logs that you can either split in half or leave whole from Petsmart for my birthday.

I placed it in my lizards tank, and my wife has since noticed small worms in the log and powdered wood on the log and around the carpet. The other day i took out his stuff to clean the tank and I found these light brown, long skinny beetles under the carpet. There were 3 in all. I wish I took a pic of them, but I fed them to my turtle.

Anyone have any idea what these might be? My lizard seems to have a liking to sitting on the cork and I wanted to make sure these little worms/beetles wouldn't be toxic if he ate one.

Shiva

Hatchling Member
I found something on a log within my gecko enclosure...not a beetle but some kind of very small bug...i took the log out and microwaved it for 4 minutes or so (i wet the log before putting it in) it was smokey and quite warm and the bugs were all dead (on a white paper towel)...have not had a problem since. I dont know how cork would fare in a microwave.
imo i would want to take care of them...if they are there what else might be living in it...

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
Powder post beetles. Not harmful, freeze or microwave the log will take care of them. They should have been kiln dried in manufacturing so it is something that likely happened during distribution. One contaminated log could infest others. They are considered wood destroying organisms but not nearly as distructive as termites. Termites would not survive inside of the log as they need moisture.

izzbo

Just soak it in a bleach solution and then bake it in the over to dry it. That's what I do w/all my wood stuff I get. I think it works, but I've never gotten out the microscope to check. :D

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
I had something simliar happen, but it was supers that hadn't been eaten. They burrowed into the half log. I have also seen it with a natural stick I had in another tank. It is scary how those supers can chew through the wood so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom