Not so hungry baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krispy

Hi! I've had Smaug for 2 weeks now and he's acclimated well. He's just starting his first shed :). I am somewhat worried about his food consumption though. He's always got greens available which he eats a couple bites of each day. I'm waiting for phoenix worms but since he's been here, he's had crickets and very small mealworms(sparingly) no bigger than between his eyes. It seems like all babies are ravenous eaters but he only eats about 6-8 crickets daily (spread out). I know he may eat less throughout his shed, but he's eaten the same small amount since I got him. He poops 1-2 times a day too so he is digesting fine.

Should I be worried about him not eating as much as other babies? I figure once I get the better worms and leave in a dish for him, he may eat more. I don't just free feed him crickets in his tank b/c they hide too well. I just put him in other tank and drop crickets in.

Thanks for any help/advice!!

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Doublecheck your cage conditions to ensure he can get hot enough, and if you've been handling him, try cutting back significantly. Check that he can easily get to the highest, hottest basking area, and make sure there's no cats or dogs or excessive loud noises that might be throwing him off.

Otherwise, just sit back and relax a bit! :) If he's eating a variety of food items, and eating them regularly, AND eating enough that he's able to go through a shed cycle...he's probably okay.

-Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom