Not growing :/ why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikey92

Juvie Member
My baby girl Spikey is doing great but Ive noticed that shes a little too small for her age :/
I dont know what Im doing wrong here so any advice would be appreciated :)

How old is your dragon? We bought her Sept 3rd and she was only like 6" long
How long have you had your dragon? Sep 3rd,2012
How long is your dragon? ~15"
What is the sex of your dragon?female
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 40 g breeder
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?paper towel,will change to tiles soon
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Fl. tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Repti sun 10
How old is your UVB bulb? Around 5 months i know i gotta replace it soon
How close can your dragon get to the UVB, and where is the UVB bulb located? Within 7"
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?Exo terra basking spot light 100 w
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)? Red heat light.She sleep in her cave under her blankie and i always make sure its pitch black in there
How long are lights on each day? From 10 til 10
What are the basking temps? 110
What is the cool side temp? 77.4
What is the night time temp? ~70
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Digital thermometer with probe
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?Taped the probe to the basking platform
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Dandelion and Squash.Wont eat any other veggies/fruit . Small supers every day and Horn-,Butter-, waxworms on the occassion
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? 2x a day
How many live feeders do you offer at time? As many as she wants
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? They eat carrot pieces and those water crystals
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? Calcium once a day 5x week its from Flukers
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?She used to go every day and now she goes every other day
Do you bathe your dragon? How often? 2x week
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? Drip water on her snout every day
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?Back in december.Her coccidia amount was a little to high but other than that no parasites.we succesafully treated her for the coccidia
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?No

80E6FD49-30B3-4B57-87A9-07274756E1A6-4537-0000057D9E0465BB_zpsc9283992.jpg

XiDiS

Juvie Member
I dont think there is any set rate at which your beardie should be growing. 6" when you got her and 15" in 6-1/2 months doesnt seem bad to me.

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
I agree w/ the previous poster.. they all grow @ different rates. my first which was a female grew slowly and didn't fill out until she passed @ 1.5 years.. my newest dragon is a male and is growing quicker, he's 4mo. 2 weeks and just about 15" and is a tank..

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Yup, she looks perfectly healthy to me, and your set up is good. I would still suggest changing the red light to a CHE though. You know how if you're in bed at night and the light in the hallways is on, it can still keep you up? Kinda the same for your beardie. She is probably just a bit of a slow grower, or she just may be on the smaller size. They can vary pretty widely, but 15 inches is a perfectly respectable length for a dragon that age.

Spikey92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you guys all for your replies. I really appreciate it and its good to hear that nothing is wrong with her. :)
I was thinking about getting a CHE but theyre kinda expensive for a "bulb" and I figured its getting warmer soon anyways and that if I buy one now it will be broken or burned out by next winter anyways. But I heard theyre quite hardy and dont burn out easily so Ill probably get one.
One question though : her cave(in which she goes over night) is under her (basking) light dome. Can I screw the CHE in there or would it get too hot ? Would it be better if the CHE on in the cooler site?

Thanks again I was really starting to worry :p

Oh and one more thing :
As u can see on the picture the part around her lips is like pinkish. Thats just getting ready to shed right? Cause Ive actually never seen only this area turning pale/"pink".

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Yup, it's a strange shed. You'd have to test the temps with the CHE in the basking spot fixture, but if you get a 60 watt bulb it shouldn't get too hot inside the cave. And they last a few years, so no issue there. Plus, if you don't need it in the summer just don't use it. It isn't time, but rather usage that burns out bulbs!

Spikey92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Alright thanks again :) Will get a 60 w CHE then rather soon and try it out.

i figured its shed but thought id ask cause I was like hmm thats a weird spot to start shedding :D plus her head is usually the last part she sheds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom