Not Eating Normally

Status
Not open for further replies.

erinw88

Hey everyone! My beardie Iro seems to be having some trouble. For the last few days she hasn't been eating regularly. We feed her crickets in the morning and in the evening and keep some veggies in during the day. She lately hasn't been eating at all in the morning and just wants out of her feeding tank. She'll usually eat in the evening, but not that much and nothing in her tank is touched throughout the day. Today also, and this may have nothing to do with anything, may have just startled her, but today I was holding her and picked her up to put a blanket over me and she hissed and ran off me into the floor and went behind the couch. I was trying to catch her and she just kept running and flattened out. When I did get her she was very dark and her beard was mostly black. I've never seen her do that, so I thought maybe it's related. She also isn't pooping a lot, I gave her a bath yesterday and rubbed her belly through the whole thing and she finally did and it seemed normal enough except the white part was unusually hard, getting it down the drain I had to poke at it and it was hard and snapped in half and then went down. She also used to live inside her basking rock, but we moved a couple months ago and she stayed out of it after, then she went back in it to sleep most nights and we moved her tank into a similar position as it was before we moved apartments and she stopped again, but just in the last few days again she's been sleeping in there again. Also yesterday she fell asleep on the back of my couch behind my head, just plopped down and went to sleep, it was only odd because nothing was around her or covering her, which she just never does, again, I don't know if it's related, but I thought I'd add it in.

We've had her since June, so just about 5 months. We got her from a pet store, so I'm not sure of her actual age, 7 or 8 months I guess. I know her tank is too small now, it's a 10 gallon tank but we just haven't been able to get her 65 gallon tank set up yet. She gets her UV lighting from a 5.0 UVB light everyday, she spend at least 8 hours straight in the tank daily. Her day time light blew out on us about 3 months ago and we'd need a completely new fixture to replace it and we haven't been able to since we're trying to set her big tank up, she has a red night heat lamp that keeps the temp up as well, it's at about 90-95 average. She has a big rock for basking and sleeping, and a smaller rock and small teddy beard to lounge on in the cool side. She does typically spend a lot of time on the cool side, usually on the warm side after eating or being out for a length of time.

This is the set up we have minus the daytime light since it blew out on us. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12330527&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

A couple of days after all of this she pooped by herself but they were small when they're normally pretty big and were normal in color. We also got her some collard greens for the first time and she loved them. She ate her crickets last night and actually ate a few this morning but when she saw me tearing up the greens for her she started trying to get out of the cricket tank and get to them so I just put her back and she ate the greens. She did not eat her crickets this evening. She doesn't feel empty like how she normally does when we feed her and after she feels full and after she goes she feels more empty, she just feels not empty all the time, before she eats and after, and before she poops and after.

This evening she's refused her crickets and the collard greens. I got her out when I came home from work and she's just kinda slow, but she was also on the cold side of the tank and feels cold. She brightened up when she was on me and still kept trying to crawl all over my keyboard, always one of her favorite places when she's out. She's also licking a lot of stuff, which isn't unusual, but it is a lot, like my hand a few times, my arms, my keys, the greens I tried to give her and the licking was slow, not quick like normal.

I've been to a couple other forums so far and no one seems to respond, just a bunch of views, no replies. Even if it's nothing or if you have a guess I'd love to hear it. I'm not very experienced in bearded dragons and she's got me really worried with all of this.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. For one thing get rid of the red light they are really bad for their eyes. He needs a bright white bulb. You can get a regular household bulb. Not energy efficient. Second the uvb you have is not good it doesn't give off the proper a mount of uvb. He needs a reptisun 10.0 Tube mounted in the tank. In order to get the correct temps he needs a bigger tank very soon. So to have a happy healthy baby he must have the proper environment.

Xeyla

she has a red night heat lamp that keeps the temp up as well
Red lamps are not good for beardies. They are able to see the wavelengths given off from the light. So, if you use this light during the night, it actually keeps them up. If you can, try using a ceramic heat emitter: http://www.petmountain.com/product/...-repticare-ceramic-infrared-heat-emitter.html This is the one I use for my beardie, it is 100watts.

She gets her UV lighting from a 5.0 UVB light everyday
5.0 is not enough for a beardie. You need at least a 10.0 bulb. What kind of bulb is it? Coil/Compact/MVB or tube?
If it is a coil or compact bulb, they are no good. They can cause eye problems in beardies, and possibly blind them permanently. The best type of bulbs are the tubes of reptisun 10.0 and the MVBs: Mercury Vapor Bulbs (certain models only).
Do not use Reptiglo tubes, ever. They have a high chance of causing eye problems. Try to go for a Reptisun tube instead. They cost a little more, but are worth it vs. the Reptiglo. http://www.petmountain.com/product/...42-504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-bulb.html
The MVBs give off UVA/UVB rays and heat. They last usually 1-2 years.
This is the bulb I bought, and am waiting for it to arrive: http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_67&products_id=181

How often do you give her calcium and vitamins? What kind of calcium dust do you use, if any? What is her substrate? If it is sand, get rid of it. Reptile carpet/newspaper/paper towels or ceramic tiles are better. I use clear shelf lining for my tank.

erinw88

Original Poster
I'm sorry, we have carpet in her tank. We tried sand about a month ago for about a week and we all hated it so it got switched back. We're currently using the cricket calcium we got from premiumcrickets.com the first time we ordered crickets. We used that 2-3 times a week. It is a Reptisun light that came with the kit.
She did finally eat some collards by herself and basked for a little bit and then just wanted back out of the tank.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
If the light came with the kit I'm pretty sure its a coil or compct or definitely wrong. He needs a reptisun 10.0 Tube.

Xeyla

You should be using the calcium 5 times a week. 2-3 is not enough.

Good thing you got rid of the sand. That causes impaction, which could kill a beardie.

I see the light in the kit is a compact tube. Those are horrible for beardies. You need to get a fluorescent tube, like the one I linked in my earlier post.

The basking temps should be about 95-105, with the cooler side being 75-80. This gives enough of a temp range to regulate her warmth as she feels the need.

erinw88

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. We should be getting her new tank set up within the next month and I'll be sure to get all the proper lights for her. Would this be causing her weird behavior? It wasn't a gradual decline, it was just one day she was eating crickets and greens like normal and the next morning she didn't. She still loves sitting with me and gets the most yellow when she sleeps under my shirt or really anywhere on me, she's still social with us, just not eating like she used to and seems to sit on the cool side a little more than normal in her tank.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Yes those lights burn their eyes, cause lack of appetite, lethargic and stress. Change the lights now before more damage is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom