Not beardie- bluebelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
I work at a machine shop, and the owner came in with a little bluebelly hatchling, all covered in oil and little metal shavings. I know he's no beardie, but they are so darned similar, I wish I can help him!

I got him as washed up as I can- he's only two inches long- and looked him over under the microscope to check for my worst fear- that he might have aspirated some oil. He did. :shock: What can I do, here? I am still at work for another two hours. I have a warm light, tissues, warm soapy water, Q-tips.... He must have gotten into something else pretty bad, as some of his scales are coming off. It can't be the oil, that's just canola oil, but there isn't much else out there that could cause that. I'll try wiping off more oil with a Q-tip. If I can just get him through the night....

Good gosh, I gotta do first aid with a microscope!

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, we got home, and I put the little baby in a tank with a slab of cork and a heat lamp. If he makes it the next few days I'll rig up my old Powersun MVB for him to catch some rays. Not the best bulb out there, by far, but that's the only spare I have--good enough for a few days emergency use; if we get that far.

The little lizard had his eyes open for a little while, and they both looked uninjured, though still oily. That should clear up on it's own. I am worried for his skin, though-- there are a bunch of blue patches where the scales rubbed off, mostly along the back, legs and head.

16e6ae3d.jpg

I want to note that I have small hands. He's TINY, oh my gosh, he's tiny!I wasn't kidding when I said I needed a microscope to treat the little guy.

Right before I left work I took a few minutes to wick some more oil out of his nose. I saw him breathing pretty deep a few minutes ago, so I don't think the oil got very far up there. I hope he doesn't get an infection. He just pooped a couple drops if it, though. Eeegh, Heaven only knows what THAT is doing to his system!

Should I provide some cover yet? How soon should I worry about food?

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Original Poster
As hard as I tried, the little guy died this morning. I guess he was out in the shop too long before we found him, and was too sick to help.

ChinelleKitten

Hatchling Member
Oh, that IS sad :(. But i am sure you made the last little bit of his time much better than if you haddn't taken care of him. It was kind of you to help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom