not basking...just hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

angiethegreat

Hatchling Member
Hello,

something is wrong with Gib. Her temps are good, she has fresh food and water, she doesnt seem stressed but she is hiding in her cool area. She's been there for two days.....I have no idea what to do. If i manage to put her in her basking spot, she just humors me for 5 minutes then goes back down to her hiding spot. She seems to be eating fine.
I use a reptisun 10.0 tube and I just got it about 3 weeks ago. Regular 100 white light for her basking and a sunglo for the addition lighting. Her tank is huge. It seems like alot of lights but her basking sopt ranges from 100-105 depending if the temp outside is warm or cold.

OH! and she needs to be treated for pinworms again but i didnt want to give her any more meds until i figured out her behavior. She was treated about 6 weeks ago, but it didn't kill all the worms.

Any ideas would be great....

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
You stated that she was treated for pins 6 weeks ago, but the worms are still present.. Was this confirmed by a fecal exam, or your feeling ?

If worms are indeed still present, that medication may not have eradicated all the worms in which ever part of the life cycle.. Meaning eggs are not effected by medication, the older cycled morphs are. So, eggs remain, 6 weeks pass, eggs hatch, and grow, and in turn lay more eggs. And that leads to her not feeling well, eating as well, as parasites can make a reptile "feel" full.

My point in this is to get a new fecal, if one hasn't been done in the last week or so, re medicate and follow up with another fecal to make sure all the worms are cleared. I have found that if the animal is dosed at lower dosages, for longer, this tends to catch each new hatch, over a 28 day period.

Hope this helps.

angiethegreat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks so much! I haven't been able to get a fecal done because I work in the daytime and the poop needs to be fresh. But her poop is still smelly, abit loose and undigested. So I am pretty sure she still has worms....... ugh!

Could the uvb light be bugging her? I looked again and its only a uvb 10.0 reptisun.......

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
The reptisun 10.0 tube is the top of the market here in the states. Only surpassed by the Mercury Vapor Bulbs, like Mega Ray and T-rex.

You can store the sample in the fridge, in the door, for a day or so. Can you call the vet and see if you can drop it off before you go into work ?

angiethegreat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well its not the bringing to the vet thats the issue, its that either she poops in her bath (usually, thats the case) OR she poops when I'm not home and its old & starting to dry when I get home. So I don't know if I can bring the poop like that to the vet.....

do you think her hiding is the result of the worms or a more serious matter? We are really worried about her and will take her to the reptile vet, but the nearest reptile vet is 4.5 hours away (we live in rural alberta, canada) the vet here is pretty decent, she's had a few clients with iguanas and geckos so I think for minor stuff she should be ok.

thank you again for ALL your help.......

angiethegreat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
when she poops in the tub it just kind of breaks into a million pieces..... :banghead: i wish I knew what was wrong with her.... any ideas on why she is hiding in her cave all day?? I bathed her last night (no poop) and put her on her basking spot, she stayed there for the rest of her light time, and slept there.... when i got up this morning,(at 7am) she was still there, but the light only turned on a few minutes before that..... by the time I can home for lunch (11:30am) she was hiding in her cave. **** if it matters her light goes on at 7am and off at 9pm.....

is my probe misreading maybe? Do they break?? :banghead:

angiethegreat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
so just another update... she has spent two days hiding..... I thought she would come out when she was hungry or cold..... but she isn't coming out for anything...... ANY IDEAS????

thanks

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I asked about your thermometer type in your other thread. Also, what is the temp of the cool side? What size tank is it or what are the dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom