Noise when puffing out beard, paranoid new owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Recently, the upper part of my bearded dragon's head turned that milky white, getting ready to shed. I can't tell if the beard is going to shed, but I'm hoping that's the case.

He keeps puffing his beard out and when he does so, I hear a sharp intake of air sort of noise. Is this normal ? I have heard that puffing out to help shed is, but I'm not sure about the noise and I'm still in "terrified new owner" stage !! At first I thought he was maybe coughing, but then I noticed his beard would puff out when he made the noise. I checked his nose and eyes and there's no discharge so I don't think it's a respiratory infection (I don't mist him or his cage, he has baths every day).

He also had to be coaxed to eat today, and I've heard that's normal. This is the first time he's every been picky, so I had the joy of removing tons of crickets from his tank because he wouldn't touch any of them, though he ate a few dubia that I placed right next to him.

He has a reptisun 10.0 and halogen basking bulb - and I've been temping it with my IR gun for hours out of paranoia (98-111). :p

Just saw him bug out his eyes a bit - I'm glad I had some forewarning on that. O__O

Sorry, I know this is such a paranoid new owner post, but I tried to search for it and couldn't find anything to help me stop freaking out (this is the first time he's shed, so I don't really know his habits) ! D:

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Chirple":3211rcbp said:
Recently, the upper part of my bearded dragon's head turned that milky white, getting ready to shed. I can't tell if the beard is going to shed, but I'm hoping that's the case.

He keeps puffing his beard out and when he does so, I hear a sharp intake of air sort of noise. Is this normal ? I have heard that puffing out to help shed is, but I'm not sure about the noise and I'm still in "terrified new owner" stage !! At first I thought he was maybe coughing, but then I noticed his beard would puff out when he made the noise. I checked his nose and eyes and there's no discharge so I don't think it's a respiratory infection (I don't mist him or his cage, he has baths every day).

He also had to be coaxed to eat today, and I've heard that's normal. This is the first time he's every been picky, so I had the joy of removing tons of crickets from his tank because he wouldn't touch any of them, though he ate a few dubia that I placed right next to him.

He has a reptisun 10.0 and halogen basking bulb - and I've been temping it with my IR gun for hours out of paranoia (98-111). :p

Just saw him bug out his eyes a bit - I'm glad I had some forewarning on that. O__O

Sorry, I know this is such a paranoid new owner post, but I tried to search for it and couldn't find anything to help me stop freaking out (this is the first time he's shed, so I don't really know his habits) ! D:

OMG i HATE the eye bugging thing. My beardies both make a noise when they puff out during a shed not sure if its normal but yours isnt the only one :) My male makes a much louder noise kinda like a loud hiss and my female makes this soft noise like she breathed out hard but i wouldnt call it a hiss after hearing Thorn LOL Ill be watching this too as both my guys are getting over URI ( neither have any more signs and Rose is getting ready to shed with the whole creepy eye popping and bearding thing going full blast ) and had last dose of meds yesterday.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks ! It is really like a "breathing" noise, it reminded me of a balloon (which I guess would make sense, kinda). :D

He hasn't bearded or made the noise since yesterday, though now he's rubbing all over his basking rock. Poor guy. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom