Newbie BD owner! Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zvicknair081811

We just picked up our first beardie this afternoon from a local pet store in New Orleans, Louisiana. He/she seems to be doing well, very active, moving from basking area to cool area and just plain 'ole discovering the new habitat. Like the topic states I am a first time BD owner. My Fiance and I purchased the new addition to the family after we had a failed attempt for a sulcatta tortoise. The tortoise was calcium dfficient from the start(we were not aware until we had him looked at by a friend who is very knowledgeable) and had no appetite and was very lethargic. We hope that our new BD will not have the same fate. We have followed every instruction our friend has given us. After the death of the tortoise, I am now probably over concerned with regards to our BD. Any helpful tips on behaviors and signs to look for either bad or good would be greatly appreciated!! I am extremely excited and want to give the BD the best possible care i can provide.

Boost.png

mommisgurl

Juvie Member
I was just about to say the same lol sand is super bad for babies, as they love to taste and try things around their habitat..if they ingest too much of it, they can get impacted..and I'm sure you know where that leads :?

How are your temps looking.? Babies should have a basking spot of 105 F - 110 F, and a cooler side of low to mid 70s..

Are you dusting 5x a week with a good calcium powder, and then the other two days a multivitamin.? As I'm sure you know, without the proper calcium..a baby won't be able to grow properly..

Hope the best for you and your new little one.! :)

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Hello. Sand's a no go, but there's lots of options. The carpet looks very nice, paper towel is great for cleaning, (just toss), tile keeps nails filed, and shelf linner is cost effective. You can also combine. My tank is 1/2 paper towel, 1/2 tile. Works great and gives my beardie a choice. (she likes to make her messes on the paper towel.) Welcome. :blob5:

zvicknair081811

Original Poster
Thank you all for the great information and advice! I was not aware that the sand was so bad for a baby BD. We had already planned to make a trip to the local pet store to get a few essential items. Will be replacing the sand with carpet tonight when I get home from work! Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom