New to the forum! Also a first time beardie owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im Alyssa! Hello! lol :D I am new to all of this but it looks like a good place to meet people with beardies! I love my new little man (or could be girl)! But he is just a baby. About 4 3/4 inches long! And I love him already and I have only had him a week! Any advice you can give me is appreciated! I have in a 10 gallon! Very temporary! Currently looking for a big tank for a low price. Ummm I currently do not have a uvb bulb because they are $60 and I dont have the money right now but if you know any trusted sites that are low on their prices for beardie stuff that is very very appreciated! Hope to hear from yall soon! :D

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
if you don't have a uvb make sure you give him as much sunlight as possible while you try to get one! You don't want him to get MBD it's really, really bad.

NightFury

Hatchling Member
Got any pics to post of your new baby? Be sure to buy a UVB as soon as possible as it is important to their health, it is not something they can live without. I recommend the reptisun 10.0 its the best, be sure its a tube bulb and not a coil bulb. (those arent good for them) Welcome to the site Alyssa! Nice to meet you. If you have any questions about your beardie and his or her care let us know and we will help you out the best we can.

www.bigappleherp.com
www.floridaherps.com

those are good sites I use, Petco I believe currently has a sale on the reptisun I mentioned. You should sign up for their memebership and pick one up

reddragon087

Juvie Member
petmountain has good prices on reptisun 10.0 linear bulbs, they usually run about $19-$24
and if you want a good price on terrariums i would suggest looking into craigslist or looking
into glasscages.com. congrats on getting your new guy.

CharlieBoy2011

Original Poster
Thanks guys that is awesome! And the reptisun 10.0 is the one I am planning on getting. The bearded dragon that I had when I posted this actually died almost a week ago. I took him back to petsmart and they said that they think he was sick because he was really really tiny. :cry: I cried for 6 hours straight because I had lost a week of sleep (literally) over him watching him bathing him and trying to get him to eat. But he had started shedding and he just couldnt get it to come off and he hadnt eat and just didnt feel good! :cry: I tried and done the best I could for him. At least he got lots of love from me instead of dying in a pet store. But they gave me another one and I made sure to choose the biggest most healthy looking one there! I have had him almost a week and he is doing really really great! He is constantly looking around and he eats awesome! I feed him about 5 small crickets a day and a small piece of kale. And he is doing really good. I am going to try and get him a light within the next 3-4 weeks. But I do feed him his calcium every other day. I am going to post pictures of him as soon as I can. He is so pretty and his name is also Charlie because my 3 year old refused to let me rename him! haha :love5: Any advice you all can give me will be great. Ohhh and I am going to buy a very tall 29 gallon tank next month as well its pretty big its twice as tall as a regular reptile terrarium. I asked the woman at petsmart if it was ok and she said it was great!?! What do you think?

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome :wave: and Congrats on you new little one! Here is a bit of forum good advice. NEVER listen to pet store advice. Most don't know the proper care of bearded dragons and will tell you incorrect info often putting your dragon at risk for health issues. Here is a link for a nutritious, color coded easy to follow list of vegetation for your Beardie. Most here recommend and follow it. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Pet shops are notorious for giving incorrect, starvation diet info. They are known to advise to feed kale, carrots, lettuce and a few crickets a day. This is a starvation diet for your Beardie. Kale has oxalates which bind with calcium preventing absorption. Your little guy or gal can become calcium deficient by eating it leading to seizures and/or Metabolic Bone Disease. Kale along with others high in oxalates should be fed only occasionally. Carrots are high in vitamin A which your Beardie doesn't absorb well leading to vitamin A toxicity which can be deadly to your Beardie. Carrots. along with others high in vitamin A should be fed only occasionally. Lettuce has no nutritional value at all and isn't worth your Beardie chewing it up. Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, turnip greens and almost every kind of squash are best to use for a staple, daily diet. It is shown on the nutritional list.
Bearded dragons, babies thru sub-adult should be fed all the crickets or live feeders it can consume in a 15 minute period 2 to 3 times a day. This can be up to 25 to 30 crickets, depending on size, for each feeding. You have a growing dragon. It needs a lot of protein just as any other baby to teenager does. You will need a lot of feeders. Many buy on-line as it is less expensive to purchase 1,000 crickets a month in bulk while your dragon is growing out. The usual ratio is 80% feeders to 20% vegetation. As they grow into adults it becomes 80% vegetation to 20% feeders.
Your growing dragon needs calcium 5 days a week. Most use a 5:2 plan. 5 days a week, Monday thur Friday dust 1 live feeding a day with calcium. 2 days a week, Saturday and Sunday dust 1 live feeding per day with Vitamins. They can't process a lot of vitamins and don't need it more than twice a week.
It would be a good idea to get the Reptisun 10.0 tube UVB as soon as possible. You can get one on line at pet mountain for between $19 to $25, depending on length. You can get the T5 fixture for it at a Walmart for about $10. UVB is essential to your dragons health. UVB stimulates vitamin D3 to be naturally manufactured by your Beardie allowing calcium to be absorbed and utilized. Without it your Beardie will develop health issues like seizures and /or Metabolic Bone Disease. You can get by without one temporarily if it is warm and you are able to get your beardie out in the natural sun.
A minimum of 40 gallon reptile tank is recommended for an adult Beardie. A tank is not more desirable if it is taller. It can be harder to regulate the heat in a taller tank but that is up to you. I know it a lot of info, but usually if you know the reason to do something or follow recommendations it makes sense and comes easy. Many others will chime in. Not everyone will agree on everything but we all agree on the basics and want only the best for our Bearded Dragons. I hope this helps you in some way.
Amanda

CharlieBoy2011

Original Poster
Thanks for your help! Its really appreciated! :D I had heard that about the store clerks just saying stuff that would pretty much kill your beardie! Like they tell me I can use mealworms as a staple food! I was like well it says not to online! So I havent even fed him one! lol I have pretty much learned the basics online and I am so glad that I found this place to! Any help anyone can give me is very greatly appreciated! I am going to make a list of stuff to get for him to eat and get it tomorrow! And I cant find the T5 bulbs at walmart! :cry: I will probably end up ording my UVB from petmountain.com anyways since they are cheaper and I am set on getting the reptisun 10.0! Another thing does the uvb have to stretch all the way across the tank? Like if I get a 24" hood that holds an 18" bulb will that work on a 40 gallon tank? And I have been feeding him calcium every couple days but I will start doing it like you said. Thats alot easier. And if I get the crickets in bulk how in the heck do I keep them alive? They seem to really hate me! I can buy 50 and then they are all dead in like 2-3 days! Because he only eats about 10 a day! lol

CharlieBoy2011

Original Poster
Oh by the way here is a few pictures of Charlie! :mrgreen:

Charlie.jpg

Charlie2.jpg

Charlie3.jpg

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
I believe the "T5" refers to the bulb size the fixture will hold. The fixture is a kitchen under-the-counter florescent tube fixture in the lighting section, about $10. You will find a bunch of numbers ending in "T5" on the back of the package. There is also a "T8" size that you don't want for the ReptiSun. It wouldn't fit. The ReptiSun Bulb won't be at Walmart. Just the fixture you need. It's hard to find the ReptiSun bulbs even at pet shops so many order the bulb on line. petmountain.com as it least expensive.
I understand about the crickets... I had the same problem with die offs, plus 1000 of them stink un-godly after a couple of days. :shock: :puke: I kept them in a regular tote with some chow and hydrated water crystals. I quit using them a long time ago and switched to Dubia roaches in bulk. . . My adult son has dragons and his own established Dubia Roach colony....and what do ya get a mom for Christmas who has everything?....a roach colony of her own. My son gave me a tote full of egg crates and breeding roaches for Christmas and I was happy about it :laughhard: Only a beardie lover would understand :D
Amanda

Explora

Charlie is adorable! If he doesn't like traditional greens (I know my baby isn't a fan) you might try nopales, the leaves of the prickly pear cactus. You can get them in most walmarts and they're very nutritious, not to mention super cheap. Feeders, on the other hand, aren't cheap at all lol. You CAN buy crickets in bulk but they're ridiculously smelly and they'll start eating each other. I can only buy three days worth at a time right now because I don't have a cricket keeper. I know some owners buy a bunch of dubias (which don't smell nearly as bad) and breed them as feeders.

Good luck!

thebenior

Hatchling Member
Oh man is that little guy cute.

I'd like to start a dubia colony, but my place is pretty small, and I rent, so I just keep buying crickets every week. I've been using the water gel and cricket gut load food (available at PetSmart stores), though one could probably just feed the crickets bits of fruits and vegetables. I've heard that the cricket gut loading foods have levels of vitamins that eventually prove toxic to crickets, so maybe when I run out, I'll just feed them slices of squash (my dragon won't eat it all before it goes bad) and apples.

I bought 1000 bulk crickets when I got my dragon, and that was a mistake. I probably had at least half die before they got eaten, and that was with a young dragon eating dozens per day. I ended up with a smelly, gross layer of decaying crickets at the bottom of the container I kept them in. :puke:

Kratoskeeper

Hatchling Member
As I read this I'm awaiting my 1000 crickets that will be here today -_- lol. I used to work for petsmart. Crickets are difficult to keep alive, was always sweeping out dead ones twice a day lol. Anyway congrats on the beardie! He's very cute. Too bad you're not local, I have a reptisun I don't use :(.

CharlieBoy2011

Original Poster
Kratoskeeper":3uuek5ms said:
Ok i take that back, it's a reptiglo, not sun :(

Awww if it had been the reptisun 10.0 I sure would have paid shipping and handling to get it! :( Thats ok though I will be hopefully getting one sooooon!! lol I appreciate you though! That was very nice! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom