New enclosure, strange behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
We moved a little while back and had Dax (3.5 years old) in a temporary 20" L for the move. 2-3 weeks ago we put him in his new enclosure - a custom-built 4' x 2' x 2'. Since then he's been acting a bit strange. Sometimes he just drags his body across the bottom of the enclosure, or lays there looking very lethargic. Other times it almost looks like he's trying to scratch his beard or nose against the floor or his rock, but he's not shedding. During feeding, or times he's not laying around, he's moving around just fine, energetic and normal.

Today I saw him puffing out his beard and what I can only describe as "gulping." He had his mouth closed, but the way he moved his head and neck it almost looked like someone drinking from a glass.

His new substrate is tile (used to be repti-carpet), and usually he moves across it just fine, but other times he seems to lose his footing. The enclosure was made out of wood and no sealants or glues were used. The tiles were self-sticking and I waited a few days before putting him in once they were laid down.

He has a Repti-Sun 10.0 bulb, along with a heat source. Initially the basking temp was around 113, so I pulled the light up about 6 inches to balance things out. Ambient temps are around 75-80. Temps are taken with a digital probe thermometer.

If I can provide any more information that might help, let me know. I'd appreciate any insight!

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
It's most likely just a little relocation stress. All beardies experience it at some point or another. He will probably get better in a few days when he is more used to his new enclosure. Let us know if he keeps this behavior up.

Erin

fallfromatree

Original Poster
duke11":9621d said:
It's most likely just a little relocation stress. All beardies experience it at some point or another. He will probably get better in a few days when he is more used to his new enclosure. Let us know if he keeps this behavior up.

Erin

Thanks for the response, Erin. I figured it was probably related to that, but I wanted to ask to be on the safe side. :)

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
I know what you mean by gulping, I have first-person witnessed this with my beardie before a couple times, I wouldn't know how to explain it, but I know it's nothing to worry about. Maybe they have something stuck in their throat (like humans), but like I said, I cannot explain it.
Don't worry, it's normal. I work around many beardies and I see it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom