New beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunnyFunk91

Hey today I have become the owner of two beautiful bearded dragons one male and female. My parents bought them for my sister but she just liked the idea of having them, so I am the one who will be taking care of them. First of all they are adults about two and half years old, My parents were told to feed them 4-5 crickets each every other day and a few meal worms from time to time, from reading online I have been getting a lot of conflicting feeding habits for these lizards. Should I keep going with the diet plan they have always been getting? or are they not getting enough, they don't appear to be unhealthy to me but that is just from looking at you tube videos. I know these animals require a lot of research before buying but I had no idea I would have these two buy the end of the day. Can anyone please help me? I don't want these little guys getting sick on me or worse.

*EDIT - I know this is a separate topic but these two guys have been living in the same tank for their entire lives and I have found people saying this is a major no no, while others have said they have never had problems with their beardies living together could I get more info on this?

Congrats on the new additions, firstly. As adults, they should be getting a good amount of vegetables to balance their diet. Feeding crickets once a day, and make sure they have greens always available. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html website that will tell you which are the best greens and which things should not be fed. Bearded dragons are hardy, so they may not appear sick even if they are on their way there. Mealworms aren't good for juveniles, but they should be fine as an occasional treat for an adult.

How much do you know about the rest of their care, like lighting or substrates? There is a lot of important stuff to know, and since they've been sprung on you there may be things you aren't aware of.

Cohabitation is a personal choice. They can get aggressive with each other, or even mistakenly bite off toes or tails when feeding. If they are a female and a male, the problem can arise of them breeding too often and exhausting the female. Keep an eye on them, look out for any issues with feeding or aggression. If they continue to do okay and you are comfortable, leave them together. I had my two blue tongues together for much of their lives, never had any issues.

Good luck with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom