New beardie owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
me and my wife wanted to get an iguana at first, but went to petsmart and decided on getting a bearded dragon. neither one of us has had any experience with a beardie. one of the people working at petsmart helped us get everything we thought that we needed. we first got a 10 gal tank but quickly upgraded to a 40 gallon tank, as it seemed too small after a week of having it and now the 10 gallon is the temporary home of the crickets until they get eaten. i have been reading a lot of posts, mostly from this site, which i did not know that the reptiglo bulbs are actually terrible lights, which we got the uvb 10 one for our beardie. we will be swapping this asap. but me, like most people on this site, want to make sure that they are caring for their beardie in the best way possible, which drove me to create a user on this site. we have had our beardie for a couple of months now, and i hope we are doing everything we need to be doing to care for it. we started out with using a day white light (zilla 50 watt) and a reptiglo 10.0 uvb all the time. then we started using the night black heat (also 50 watt) at night, with the other 2 lights off at night. as for the diet, we started her out on crickets, romaine lettuce and mustard greens, with an occasional mealworm. we just recently started to try out the green/red/brown pellet food with the zilla veggie munchie mix, but she doesnt seem to take to new foods very quickly. this morning before i left for work i fed her 1 cricket, and then another one when i got home and she also ate very little of the veggie mix around the same time. not too much longer after this she seemed like she was a bit "rounder" than she normally had been, and also seemed very tired, all within a few hours of time which led me to search the net, as i became concerned for my reptile friend. i suppose i just want to make sure that i am taking proper care of her so that she stays healthy. any additional tips are always welcome.

beardie1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom