New beardie owner, want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majora

Hi everybody. c: I just got my very first beardie (and first reptile!) this past Saturday. His name is Majora, he is about 7 inches long and I'm assuming he is a he for now, but I really can't tell yet. I just want people with more experience to take a look at how I'm caring for him and advise me on any changes I need to make. Sorry in advance for the long post. Lol

I got the Zoo Med 20L beardie starter kit, which I know is not the absolute best. I planned on getting the rest of the stuff I would need the next day, but we had sort of a financial issue and I won't be able to pick up more stuff until tomorrow when I get paid. This is what the kit contains:

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...iS2V5d29yZHMiO3M6MTI6InJlcHRpaGFiaXRhdCI7fQ==

However instead of the combo lamp mine came with a single lamp and just the basking bulb. It also came with an under tank heater, which I have stuck to the side of the tank on the hot side. I also got him a basking log and a plant.

The things I know I need to get are a digital thermometer or temp gun, and a different substrate (I hate the sand anyway... it's stained him orange. awful stuff). I plan on switching to tile this weekend. But if you can recommend anything else I should pick up, please do. I know the type of UVB bulb that's included with the kit isn't the best either, but once he's gotten over his relocation stress I plan on taking him outside with me for short periods every day, so do I still need to get the tube-type fixture? When I move him into a bigger tank he'll definitely get one, but I was wondering if it's imperative to get it now.

I have been feeding him greens every day but right now he'll only eat green beans out of everything I've tried. So I've just been giving him those, with the Zoo Med juvenile beardie pellets mixed in, and he's been eating them fairly well. He also gets around 20 calcium dusted crickets at night. I have been giving him mealworms as a treat, and he LOVES them. I just put a few on top of his greens if he hasn't been eating them and he ends up eating most of his salad along with them.

As for temps, the kit only came with the stick-on thermometer but I will be getting a digital one with a probe or a temp gun tomorrow. The thermometer has been reading between 95 and 100 on the hot side, and there isn't one on the cool side. I'm glad I'm going to be able to accurately measure the temps because it's been worrying me a lot.

He is very active and seems healthy (eating and pooping regularly, etc) but his beard is still very dark and his belly has stress marks. How long does it really take them to settle in? I've had him for four days now. I'd like to be able to bathe him and take him outside with me, but I also want him to get used to his new home and get over the relocation stress first. When do you recommend I start handling him?

And one more question - when will it be time to move him into a bigger tank? Is there a certain size they reach? I plan on moving him into at least a 40 breeder, is this big enough?

So please give me any tips or advice you can think of. Majora and I would really appreciate it!

mgodfriaux

Hatchling Member
I can't stress enough how important uvb is for them Without it they won't eat right so get stressed They can actually end up getting really sick from it So I would not wait to get a reptisun linear tube bulbbulbf

Majora

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. The bulb that came with the kit is a Reptisun but it's the compact kind. I know the tubes are better than compacts but is there a danger to using the compacts? His basking spot is right under the UVB so he spends a lot of time directly underneath it. He seems to be eating fine, not too interested in veggies, eats a few bites, but gobbles up his crickets. I am planning to switch him over to the reptisun tube sooner rather than later but I don't know how long it'll be before I can get one. If I'm getting one for his current tank (20 long) what size would be recommended? And should it be a 10.0 or a 5.0?

I got a digital thermometer with a probe to monitor his temps and right now it's 93 on the hot side, 83 on the cool side and his basking spot is around 107. Is this okay? It was a little difficult for me to get the temperature of his basking spot because I taped it down but he kept trying to lick the probe. Lol

I think I'm going to have to get a lower wattage bulb for his basking light because it's a very cool day today and his temps seem high to me. I even have the basking lamp lifted off of the screen top and it's still very hot. The kit came with a 100w which I'm now thinking is way too much for a 20 gallon tank especially for the summer time. If I get a 50w bulb would that be enough, or should I get a 75w?

mgodfriaux

Hatchling Member
The compact coils aren't good for beardies at all there is a topic in the enclosure section I believe that will explain it better then I can. ... and I do believe you're good on the restrest

mgodfriaux

Hatchling Member
Oops forgot to answer some questions. ... a reptisun10 is what you want. .... the temperatures are almost spot on just keep an eye on it for the next few days you might need to downsize the heat f

I'm a new beardie owner too and we bought the same set up! Our beardies are very similar in size :) I'm annoyed I bought that setup now because after finding this site, I realize it is pretty much a waste of money. I'm getting the reptisun 10 and a fixure to mount inside asap (this week) and having my husband build him a 4'x2'x2' enclosure so I guess this tank will become a cricket house or something lol. Right now I'm using paper towls for a substrate but I'm going to use lino or tiles once my husband makes him his new house. (the paper towels are so easy since you just change them once a day or so) So frustrtating that the pet stores sell the wrong stuff for them.

Majora

Original Poster
RoscoTheBeardie":2wg6pel4 said:
I'm a new beardie owner too and we bought the same set up! Our beardies are very similar in size :) I'm annoyed I bought that setup now because after finding this site, I realize it is pretty much a waste of money. I'm getting the reptisun 10 and a fixure to mount inside asap (this week) and having my husband build him a 4'x2'x2' enclosure so I guess this tank will become a cricket house or something lol. Right now I'm using paper towls for a substrate but I'm going to use lino or tiles once my husband makes him his new house. (the paper towels are so easy since you just change them once a day or so) So frustrtating that the pet stores sell the wrong stuff for them.

I actually work at pet store so I was aware of how most kits are a scam, lol. I got this kit because with the sale we were having and my discount I was able to get it for about the same price as a 20 long tank and screen top alone. I'm using the dishes, tank, lights, and under tank heater so the only thing I've had to throw out was the sand (my beardie is much happier on the shelf liner I got him. so am I - no more orange stains!). The only thing I wasn't sure if I would have to replace was the UVB light, which I'm going to now. I'm going to get the Reptisun 10 tube soon.

mgodfriaux":2wg6pel4 said:
Oops forgot to answer some questions. ... a reptisun10 is what you want. .... the temperatures are almost spot on just keep an eye on it for the next few days you might need to downsize the heat f

Thanks! It was super hot out today and his temps were too high so I swapped out the 100w zoo med bulb with a regular white 40w bulb and they're fine now. I should probably invest in a fixture with a dimmer or something. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom