New Beardie - Is this MBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Here's the link to Tracie's website.. You definitely want the Calci Blast

http://www.bug-de-lite.com/Products%20Page.html

Calci-Blast

Mixture of Calcium Glubionate & Calcium Gluconate which gives a higher absorbtion rate than Calcium Glubionate alone. Great for reptiles with more severe metabolic bone disease. Comes with a 1ml syringe and instruction sheet for easy dosing. Four great flavors to choose from.

$8.00 Each

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry for the delay but thought I would check in. He sure is a little cutie pie, I am sorry that he has metabolic bone disease.
He will have a great life with you.
Did he enjoy his bathtime too? You can put a soft towel in with him, too, so he feels more secure. Also, leaving your hand in there with him helps immensely for comfort.
It sounds like he has a great appetite now though which will help him get his strength up!
Did you get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb for him?
Great job rescuing him, poor thing.

Tracie

razorguy

Original Poster
Here is an update on his condition for anyone who may interested:

He has been eating every evening when I get home from work. He eats about 15-20 dusted worms/crickets (I usually rotate them) and he still seems to enjoy his greens throughout the day as he regularly eats the majority I leave out for him (also dusted with the calcium + D3 by the way). I have already noticed an improvement in his color and the size of his belly and he also seems to be a little more active as the days go by. I also trimmed up the slate tile I bought for him that didn't fit in his tank originally and he seems to really be enjoying it over the paper towels that his nails were getting caught in from time to time.

My biggest concern is his ability to digest his food. He has been eating pretty well but last night he passed a couple of full worms and it stunk worse than any other animal poop I've encountered before. As this is my first beardie I don't know if the smell is common but I obviously know he shouldn't be passing full worms. He can't chew very well (a result of MBD I'm sure) so I'm assuming that is a contributing factor. I've monitored the temps in his tank pretty closely and they seem fine aside from I may need to add a light to the cold side to bring it up a wee bit higher. It's my understanding the UVA light aids in digestion anyway, correct? I think my brain is starting to jumble things up with all the new info I've been cramming into it on the matter so I could be wrong on that.

Anyway, advice is always appreciated and thank you for the help so far!

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
You might need to bump the basking temp just a little bit to aid in digestion. What kind of worms are you feeding? He may need softer bodied things. Also, the horrible smelling poop is generally a sign of parasites, which wouldn't be too surprising given his condition. You should get a fecal exam done as soon as you can so you can clear that up.

razorguy

Original Poster
Yes, UVB..sorry.

I'll get his basking temp up a few degrees. The worms are wax worms which are very soft bodied so I didn't think it would be an issue. My girlfriend was supposed to get a fecal done today on what came out of him last night but forgot it when she left for work so I'll be sure to get it done on Monday.

I know this is gross, but here a picture of the surprise I found today when I came home from work. Not sure if that's blood or a piece of grapefruit that I gave him.. I'll just post a link to it incase someone is scrolling and doesn't want to see it :p

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8605/wp20130222003.jpg

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Looks like grapefruit. I might suggest getting some soy yogurt or another probiotic like Acidophiliz+ for him. He may be having trouble with his digestive tract. Not surprising... I don't think any issues he has would be surprising considering the shape you found him in.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look like grapefruit pieces. Sometimes the worms can come through whole if they are not chewed up very well.
As suggested, increasing the basking spot temperature can help as well. Is he more active & alert now also?
The UVB helps with absorption of vitamin D3, calcium & other vitamins & minerals. Is he basking quite a bit too?
It sounds like he is eating very well right now! You are doing a beautiful job with him now. :D
You can post more pictures of him, also.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry for your loss... :cry: I was hoping he would pull through for you.
If you need anything, just let us know.

Tracie

razorguy

Original Poster
Unfortunately he did pass. He was doing seemingly well but over the weekend started strange behavior and wouldn't eat. After a trip to the vet Saturday and me force feeding him his condition seemed to keep declining until he passed away a couple of nights ago. At least he isn't suffering any longer.

Time to get the tank disinfected and start looking for a baby beardie..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom