New BD slave....

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Hi!

A neighbor kid down the street has a very large BD, and I have enjoyed handling her as often as I could get away with it. It was instant love. Every time we see some at the pet store I beg, but gosh! They are just soooo... expensive.

We were at our local Petco getting fruit flies for the baby mantises when I spotted a large-ish baby, 8 inches or so, all alone in an un-heated, un-lit aquarium with a sign "Adopt Me! $25!" How could I resist? It was a dream come true. I whirled around, snagged the nearest blue-shirt (just happened to be the manager, LOL!), and promptly adopted he/she/it. Yeah, we call him/her "hesh*t" sometimes, sorry Teddy!

I was pretty lucky to have a spare cage, so I moved the two corn snakes into the screen cage, leaving the 30 gal. tank for the BD. Today was a wild goose chase to find the replacement bulbs to make the UVB/heat dome work again, but now I have one VERY content BD sleeping in his/her new blankie (washcloth, for now).

I have been lurking on beardeddragon.org for a week now, peeking into as many threads as I can on the iPhone, even sneaking peeks during work! I have spent most of my time reading Jojo's story, and recently started Zack And Wheezie's thread.

It's amazing how intelligent these guys are, and how curious. I don't know what's more endearing, the super-alert gaze, the inquisitive tasting-of-everything, the often daily baths, or the nightly beardie-burritos? I tried that tonight, and Teddy fell fast asleep, almost before I finished wrapping.

I am not finished fixing up the viv, but I believe I have all the basics met, as best as my terribly limited budget could do:
-->30 gal tank- good enough for a little while, until he/she grows out of it.
-->Zoo-Med combo dome--> fluorescent UVB and halogen heat lamp (Edit: TERRIBLE lamp! Don't buy one!)
-->paper towels (I read THAT one loud and clear, LOL!)
-->Plenty of cork branches to climb and bask on
-->one huge rock to hold the branches in place, mostly
-->plastic "log" hidey hole
-->water bowl, just in case he does the unusual and wants a drink (tell me if he just WON'T use it, I'd rather give it back to the snakes)
-->chow bowl with constant supply of home-grown organic GREEEEEENS (my FAVORITE veggie, YAY!)

I plan to start growing some alfalfa, that sounds like good BD chow. I didn't know that mealworms aren't the best until just now, so I'll use up the last of what's in the 'fridge and stick to dusted crickets until I can get better. I have calcium, but no multi's yet.

I can't get basking-side and cool-side temps just yet, I just finished rounding up all the parts for the lamp. I have a cheap probe thermometer that'll have to do for now.

The zoo:
Four cats, Squirt, Gidget, Socks and Buttercup. Gidgit is a "special needs" kitty, she's stuck forever in "kitten mode". Butter is a tri-pod semi-feral rescue project kitty, faster on three legs than all three of our other combined! Squirt is a handsome genious classic gray tabby, and Socks is a pretty chocolate point Siamese (mix?).
Two 2-foot corn snakes. I forget time and again what the colors are called, I just say "white-on-pink and red-on-pink" or "just pretty". George and Reuben, raised from pencil sized hatchlings.
Two tanks full of guppies, gender segregated.
Four hermit crabs.
One 5'X5'X10' (that 10' is not vertical, duck!) greenhouse FULL of various carnivorous plants, plus more temperate growers outside. Even the hermit crabs have to share part of their 150 gal. terra with the lowland Nepenthes.

Me? I just turned 29 last Monday. I live in San Jose, CA, and really haven't moved very far my whole life. Local Grown, indeed! I have been "into" pets nearly my whole life. Mom did ALOT of cat rescue when I was little, and continued until she passed in '07. I met Dory and moved just a little ways away, and Dory has been such a sweetheart, letting me keep whatever critters I want. He loves the snakes, and just adores the new BD. He has taught me alot. Taught me to drive, taught me to sail, and is now teaching me to drive crazy! My first autocross was three weeks ago. Yeah, I was the slowest one on the track, but because I was the only one in my class, I won first place! :roll: I am also learning to be my own mechanic, mostly because it's fun, rewarding and cheap, and also because it's an antique, and few would work on a FIAT anymore.

I could keep going, I AM the worst chatterbox in the area, but It's past midnight, and the alarm's going off @ 5:30, like it or not. I'll keep an ear out on the iPhone tomorrow when things are slow.

~Katie

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Katie!! I'm Jordan, welcome to beardeddragon.org!! This is a great community so if you have any questions feel free to ask and of course.... have fun!!!

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
Hello and Welcome to the board!! I am Dina, a BD Slave to 3 beardies. Louie ( female) is my sweet princess...she rules this house! LOL She is 1 1/2. Also got a rescue 2 weeks ago named TaeGuek (Tega), a 1 1/2 year old Male. And, Baby Mickey...about 6 months old. Not sure if he/she yet.

Any questions, just ask!! This board is AWESOME!!!!!! So much great information.

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys! I've been all over the forum these last couple weeks, lookin' up stuff. I'm sure you'll find me here often.

Hey, is it really true the ZooMed dome lights are no good? Oh, carp! We just spent fifty bucks (or so) replacing the lights, and then another seventy replacing the whole danged thing. Dory's gonna kill me!

Twobeardieguy":1vi3irrq said:
Hello and welcome :whip: :laughing6: we love pictures here.

Hey, man, don't you brandish that whip at me, you pirate! LOL! :lol: JK!

I'm a newsletter editor, I know what it's like to beg/plead/threaten for pictures. I like to make up for it, and am usually the bane of dial-up users. BUT: my little camera that's been through SOO much finally gave up. It's been tossed around in the car during mountain road training, hung from the boom whilst sailing, knocked about in the greenhouse and be-slimed by the sundews, sneezed on (and snotted on) by a sea lion, and taken a solid saltwater dunking when we got pooped in Monterey Bay. After all that, the motors siezed after a light freshwater rinse. Hrrumph! :banghead:

It may be a while until I can afford a new one. I'll vet ya some cameraphone pix later, promise.

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Got a camera phone picture for ya'll!

Power's off at home today, so I had Dory bring him during my lunch for some supervised "tanning". Teddy's lovin' it, watching everything goin' on, and enjoying a snack of chilled crickets on the partly sunny dash. He got a little carried away and tossed a cricket into the intake vent for the air. Great, next time we turn on the AC, a cricket'll come flying out some vent. LOL!

bb6b3f41.jpg

~Edit~

I came home to find this:

021-1.jpg

015.jpg

Yep, he pooped in the water. Air raid!
I will clean it out, but I just don't want to disturb him. I'll wait for some crickets to chill, first.

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ooooh, boy! It's been a while.

Work stinks.

We've been getting Teddy's new stuff together as we can, and he's loving it all! There's a brand-new 55 gal terra on the floor next to him, just waiting for me to finish the screen lid for the top. We now have a Zoo-Med MVB, 65 watt spot (can you believe the Reveal bulb was hurting my pooper's eyes? :shock:), a probe thermometer, (temporary) paper towel "substrate", plenty of rocks to bask on, a hand-made "leese", and some really darling plastic "doggie" bowls that hold the crickets in one spot oh-so-nicely.

Many thanks to a sharp-eyed, well-loved member here who spotted a problem with my old light, and prompted me to go fix it. Little Ted's doing MUCH better now.

I think we'll keep taking him outside with us, it's so much FUN! Dory meets me for lunch, and he brings Ted along in a screen-top kitty carrier. At first, he hated the trips, when they were necessary (waiting for the correct UV lights), but now that it's a fun thing to do, Ted's happier to bask and roam around us, looking for bugs. He is doing much better with passing cars, crows and small aircraft, but we still have to cover him up every time a 737 or bigger flies overhead. He visibly relaxes when I get my hand in position. Silly little guy!

Last week Teddy laid a HUGE poop, and even with me being up-wind, I still nearly passed out from the smell. Tuesday he saw the vet, and while he was there, he gave us a nice, FRESH stool sample. LOL! :roll: Other than the light appetite and the stinky, pinworm-ridden poo, Teddy is very healthy, and quite the charmer (that day). He was the creamiest I've ever seen him, in that exam room. :lol: The next day (yesterday), we picked up his meds, and I had the wonderful opportunity to learn a new skill: beardie med-ing 101. Hah! After the goop, I offered some squash baby food, and I don't know whether he likes the stuff, or just wanted something to get rid of the taste. Blech!

Today, he's a different dragon. He's been eating, basking, running around, basking, tearing up his viv, basking..... Sooo cute. I've been trying to get his basking spot "dialed in", and finally have it settled at about 110, where Ted'll sit and bask, gaping every once and a while. I gave him some more fresh greens, and he actually ate some. Yay! When I drove past the house and turned in the driveway, I swear I saw Ted head-bob the car. :love5:

Soon, soon, I'll have the 55 gal set-up, and he'll have even more room to tear stuff up in. I think all I need is the tile, I have everything else, ready to assemble.

Whoever said this website is addictive, you have NO idea! I've caught myself reading it at work, with the iPhone tucked between my *ahem* chest and the microscope, reading in-between de-burring parts. :silent:

I'm curious: can beardies eat spicy-hot stuff? Would they? He and I love the same fruits and veggies, I was wondering if I can share my chilis?

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
Yep, you're addicted alright! I have the same issue. Glad to hear your little guy is doing so well. They do have a way of stealing our hearts.

I've been a slave since April 1, 2010, so I'm rather new too. This is a great site isnt it?

And we love looking at pictures hint, hint, hint

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh, smarty!

My camera is deader than a doornail, but lemme see if I can get some iPhone pics, once it's done charging.

LOL!

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
Original Poster
OK, here goes:

Pooped out all ready?
039.jpg

Obviously didn't like being woken from his royal nap!
036.jpg

Chillin' on Dad's knee....
007-1.jpg

....in his new "leese"!
009.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom