New Baby Red Bearded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason12

Just ordered a baby red bearded, 100 watt heat/UVB bulb and lamp fixture.
I have a 20 gallon ExoTerra vivarium ready with tile as substrate and a shallow waterdish and small feeding bowl

Ill have pics soon, how does it all sound so far?

wilddanny88

Juvie Member
Sounds good. What brand UVB tube is it? Also, do you have a rock or piece of wood you are going to use for a basking spot? :)

Spikey07

Juvie Member
Can't wait to see pictures!

The brand and type of UVB bulb is very important.

You need to avoid any type of coil UVB bulbs as these are not safe for beardies. They can cause eye issues and MBD.

The recommended bulbs are the Repti-Sun 10.0 tube bulb and Arcaida D3 12% UVB tube bulb. Keep in mind these bulbs need to be mounted inside the tank so your beardie can get 8" from the bulb at the closest point. They also need to be changed every 6 months as the UVB diminishes over time. Many of the other brands of tube bulbs are also no good.

Tile is a good choice. No risk of impaction.

Also keep in mind that if you choose to use the water bowl make sure it is kept on the cool side of the tank as to not raise humidity in the tank. Many beardies do not drink from a water bowl and instead get hydration from baths, veg and it being offered via plastic dropper or syringe.

Mason12

Original Poster
pics will be coming soon i just got him in the mail today and he is beautiful!
i go newspaper then these broken tile that are stacked up for a basking spot still putting together a hide,
thinking about gluing broken tiles to make a cozy cage type thing.

I really wish i didnt get rid of these awsome store bout hides i had but oh well

Today i fed him a dusted medium cricket and he darter over and devoured it, hes soooo tiny tho but he got that thing down he seemed full after
lol cool stuff

Spikey07

Juvie Member
Be really careful wih the size of the food you are feeding him. Make sure it is no longer than the space between his eyes or it may cause impaction.

Also offer him as many appropriately I sizeded crickets as he'll eat in 10mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom