New apartments and beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omg87

I'm planning to move into a new apartment next month and while I understand there's a fee for cats and dogs, but what about caged animals like bearded dragons, birds, hamsters, etc? Can I get away with not paying a fee?

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Depends on the apartments. This is a tricky thing; generally if an apartment is okay with cats and dogs, they won't mind reptiles.

Ask first if they are okay with fish tanks. If that's okay, then the reptiles should be okay too. If you can feel them out and outright tell them you have a couple of lizards, and they don't mind, then STOP talking about them! Don't mention what they eat (the bugs usually concern people), electricity, any of it - the more detail you go into, the more chance you give them to find a reason to change their mind. Even if they seem excited about them, keep quiet on them until you've been there a while and have a better idea of whether or not the complex manager is truly okay with it. Sometimes the sight of the actual reptile or cage can make them change their mind, you never know, so just keep it quiet until you get a better feel for the complex. Some places end up being pretty laid back about it (my current apartment is like that), some are pretty uptight. The only way to find out for sure is to wait it out.

One or two beardies shouldn't be hard to get a complex to accept, though. Just be cautious at first. :)

-Jen

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
LLLReptile":3rtvy5c6 said:
Depends on the apartments. This is a tricky thing; generally if an apartment is okay with cats and dogs, they won't mind reptiles.

Ask first if they are okay with fish tanks. If that's okay, then the reptiles should be okay too. If you can feel them out and outright tell them you have a couple of lizards, and they don't mind, then STOP talking about them! Don't mention what they eat (the bugs usually concern people), electricity, any of it - the more detail you go into, the more chance you give them to find a reason to change their mind. Even if they seem excited about them, keep quiet on them until you've been there a while and have a better idea of whether or not the complex manager is truly okay with it. Sometimes the sight of the actual reptile or cage can make them change their mind, you never know, so just keep it quiet until you get a better feel for the complex. Some places end up being pretty laid back about it (my current apartment is like that), some are pretty uptight. The only way to find out for sure is to wait it out.

One or two beardies shouldn't be hard to get a complex to accept, though. Just be cautious at first. :)

-Jen

agreed. he had an agent showing us places and he asked about pets, when we told him we had a reptile in a glass aquarium he suggested we just say "we have an aquarium" and leave the reptile part out.
usually there is no fee for caged animals. my mom has birds and she was only ever charged a fee for her cats and dog.

but i completely agree not to mention the food, especially if you have a colony of any kind.

thebenior

Hatchling Member
My current land lord asked if I had pets before I moved in, when I told him that I had a lizard that stays in a dry aquarium, "kind of like fish," he said, "That's better than fish actually." I assume he said this due to the lack of potential for water damage in event of leaks.

However, a stated before, it'll depend upon the specific land lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom