Nervous about my order

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyspark

Hatchling Member
Has anyone purchased any bearded dragons from fire and ice dragons? I ordered one around 12 days ago. I was told it would ship the next day,the git an email saying it was to cold to ship.

I understand that, but was confused stating that it was to cold for their heat packs to activate. I thought they activated regardless of temp?

I started looking around and only seem to find bad reviews and horror stories. I've just got this bad feeling.

I have friends online that have gotten bearded deagons shipped from places much colder in Canada.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
From what I've heard and seen through the years, she has horrible customer service and most likely will be a total pill to communicate with. Have you tried contacting her?

I personally wouldn't ever order from her, but some people have had success.

I do understand the not wanting to ship until the temperatures are better, anyways, it is another creatures life on the line.

-Brandon

trickyspark

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I asked if I could have a pic. I was told it would cause shipping delays, and the dragon might be shedding. I could possibly have a pic once all other customers got their orders shipped if it was shedding no pics could be provided. Tempted to try aand cancel the order, make a trip to a few pet stores. The closest ones are 100 miles one way, I can't shake that bad feeling.

Also are the ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamps bad? She said they would dehydrate and harm the dragon in many ways. I've never heard that before. She said only use regular light bulbs only.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....I just wanted to mention that in many parts of the country it really was too cold to ship, not to mention some UPS and FedEx hubs could have delays, as well as the airports. It really was safer to wait . I hope everything turns out for you, I'm under the impression that they don't give refunds but if you cancelled then you'd find out. I don't see why you couldn't change your mind. If you do go ahead + get the beardie, it may turn out beautiful or it may turn out looking different than what you expect.

As for lights, a lot of people , myself included, use household bulbs, but the pet store basking bulbs can also be used and when placed the proper distance are safe....your choice, but housebulbs are just as good + much less expensive.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Right now most of the country is in a arctic blast. I know we have about a foot of snow on the ground and its still coming down and will through Saturday. Many places are at an almost stand still due to weather. There are many accidents on the roads and airports have been shut down due to ice and snow. Temps have been below zero in some places and in the low teens in others. if it were me I wouldn't want to ship a live animal not knowing if the hubs are at a standstill or not. I would give it some time if it were me. I wouldn't want to risk the life of an animal due to these temps and there are many delays. Heat packs only last so long in these temps so you don't want a lifeless animal arriving at your door. Be patient and try to contact them and see when they will ship your dragon.

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
i would not want to ship or receive any live animal with the weather we've had recently. if that's your only concern, then don't worry- they made the right call.

trickyspark

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Not primarily that, I kept reading so many bad reviews and so few positive ones. Shipping did kind of worry me, and I didn't expect during the snow storm. Some reviews dealt with people that had a lot of
issues involving shipping, guess it got me paranoid.

Supposed to get her this Wednesday.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Personally with how bad the cold is back east and pretty much everywhere except the west coast, I would not want to risk my little one getting shipped in that weather and possibly having a delay of days due to weather. I think this is just a bad time of the year to buy any living thing through shipping.

As for the light bulb, Zoo Med basking lights work fine. I use a 150 watt one on a lamp dimmer so I can control the output right next to my Mega Ray MVB for Harley and it has worked fine for her for about a year. They can dry out babies but any focused spotlight can do that without controlling the temps and especially to babies who dehydrate fast anyways. Regardless, you should be either bathing a baby every other day or if yours hates water as much as Harley did as a baby, use an eye dropper and squeeze a drop out on the end of it and touch it to the babies mouth. Harley used to drink water like that on days I didn't want to wrestle with her to get her in a bath. Good thing now though is she loves baths and I have to wrestle to get her out of them. Go figure :lol:

As for dealing with Fire and Ice, I too have heard all kinds of bad reviews. You can go to http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/ and check the BOI for any new issues. Anyways, good luck.

trickyspark

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
About the regular bulbs, I'm having trouble getting enough heat out of them.
I got a pack of Sylvania 60W Halogen Bulbs, 785 Lumens. I have one about 4 to 5 inches from the basking area.

After about 30 minutes it is only up to 90 degrees. Did I get the wrong bulb. The spotlamp will hit 110 fairly easy. Should I get one of the halogen floodlamp bulbs instead? I have used them before, they hit basking temp quick.

Just trying to set up everything before Wednesday. I was trying to replace the spotlamp bulb, but can use if needed. If I get the lamp and bulb much closer it will block the uvb bulb in that area.

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
boy i remember spending some time trying to find the right bulb. it's going to depend on your setup of course. i can only tell you that i ended up using a Philips dimmable flood light 53w bright light color, 920 lumens… and it works for me. i use a dimmer to cut it just a tad off of FULL ON. adding a dimmer switch may help you fine tune… just a thought. oh, when i was testing bulbs out, i usually gave them 3 or 4 hours to warm up the basking spot. my basking spot consists of rocks, and they absorb the heat- just keep getting hotter and hotter. I'm pretty sure that if I got up to 105F in 30 minutes, it'd be really, really hot up there by the end of the day! so, you might do a temp profile and see where you are at 4 hours before throwing out a bulb.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Definitely agree there. I too use slabs of Pennsylvania blue stone and if I go full blast on the basking light, it would turn into an oven. I use a lamp dimmer from Home Depot to get a perfect 102-105 degree basking temp. Funny part is Harley actually prefers to stretch out on her hammock next to the MVB and basking light instead and watch the room.....

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I have also heard bad reviews from that breeder. Personally I like Cheryl from www.beardedragons.co she gives out her phone number so you can text her and everything. It seems like here in Seattle is the only place that isn't totally freezing. We only have one say of snow and it melted the next morning.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
brittani299":3fl65mdv said:
It seems like here in Seattle is the only place that isn't totally freezing. We only have one say of snow and it melted the next morning.
Over here it was in the mid to high 80's last week :mrgreen:
Sadly though, it is a freezing 60 degrees now during the day. brrrr :lol:

-Brandon

trickyspark

Hatchling Member
Original Poster

She came this morning, seems healthy and alert. She has all of her toes, no tail nip. Her colors range from orange to a lemony yellow. So far all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemommma
Top Bottom