Need help with lighting stuff and name :]

TCRay_AAAa

Beardie name(s)
still deciding !!
Heyy so I'm eventually (nearest few months) going to get my first beardie and the vivarium I'm getting is a 'HabiStat Standard Vivarium Black 122 x 61 x 61cm'

One problem I have here is it doesn't have the usual mesh top and I have no idea how to set up lighting in it. Few questions:

1.Do i need one of those cages for the basking light?
2.Can you use just the bulb for the basking light like without the reflector things?

3.If you do need one of those cages - do i need 2 separate ones for the basking light and the ceramic radiator? or can I find a big one to fit them into?

And with the names I just can't decide between a few:
1.Murphy
2.Simba
3.Rizaard the wizard
4.Razzle Dazzle
5.Loki
6.Bingo
7.Megladon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Heyy so I'm eventually (nearest few months) going to get my first beardie and the vivarium I'm getting is a 'HabiStat Standard Vivarium Black 122 x 61 x 61cm'

One problem I have here is it doesn't have the usual mesh top and I have no idea how to set up lighting in it. Few questions:

2.Can you use just the bulb for the basking light like without the reflector things?

3.If you do need one of those cages - do i need 2 separate ones for the basking light and the ceramic radiator? or can I find a big one to fit them into?

1.Murphy
2.Simba
3.Rizaard the wizard
4.Razzle Dazzle
5.Loki
6.Bingo
7.Megladon
So you have a 120 gallon tank-- how old is the dragon your getting?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra

1.Murphy
2.Simba
3.Rizaard the wizard
4.Razzle Dazzle
5.Loki
6.Bingo

1.Murphy
2.Simba
3.Rizaard the wizard
4.Razzle Dazzle
5.Loki
6.Bingo
7.Megladon
I like Loki and Bingo 🙂

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco

1.Murphy
2.Simba
3.Rizaard the wizard
4.Razzle Dazzle
5.Loki
6.Bingo
7.Megladon
Do you have a link to the vivarium? Is that one where the lights go into?
A ceramic heat emitter is usually not required, but you need a UVB tube (no coil) in addition to the basking light. Both the basking lamp and the tube need a reflector. Also make sure the one for the bulb has a ceramic socket as plastic can melt. Use the ones sold for specific that use: vivariums/terrariums.

Regarding names: Many pets react well to names that can be pronounced clearly. My dragon "Taco" reacts to the "Tac" in his name. From the names you list, I would go for Loki, Simba or Bingo and say that overly pronounced ("Looooki", "Simmmm-ba", "B-ING-o").
My dragon won't come when "called", but clearly reacts different when I say "Taco", "Tac", "Hey Tac!" (looks and waits as he knows when I say that something happens like I open the terrarium, or give him food, or take him out) compared to when I say other things (no reactions, or looks a second and continues what he's doing).

El heffe

Beardie name(s)
Frankster
Rizzard the wizard yes rizzo boy or girl , I call mine pumba sometimes cause when he / she runs around the bottom all I see is the pmba tail sticking up , congratulations I’m so excited for you

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Hi Ray (assuming thats your name) ;)
Congrats on getting your first dragon! Do you have an specific animal in mind yet?

To your questions then:

1. No you do not need a cage unless the bulb would be close enough for the dragon to come in contact with it.

2. Yes the basking bulb can be used without a reflector. If (!) it is strong enough to get your basking spot warm enough AND weak enough to not get your cool side too warm. Both my dragons have their basking bulb without an reflector but I also have big tanks so that helps with that.
The UVB as @ChileanTaco mentioned can not be used without a reflector (unless you use a mvb or mhb but those are all-in-one bulbs).

3. Again as @ChileanTaco mentioned, you'll probably want to ditch the che unless it gets below 60°F at night. At daytime you want your heat from lights as they are dessert animals and like high illuminance.

And I like Simba and Loki :)

TCRay_AAAa

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
still deciding !!
Do you have a link to the vivarium? Is that one where the lights go into?
A ceramic heat emitter is usually not required, but you need a UVB tube (no coil) in addition to the basking light. Both the basking lamp and the tube need a reflector. Also make sure the one for the bulb has a ceramic socket as plastic can melt. Use the ones sold for specific that use: vivariums/terrariums.

Regarding names: Many pets react well to names that can be pronounced clearly. My dragon "Taco" reacts to the "Tac" in his name. From the names you list, I would go for Loki, Simba or Bingo and say that overly pronounced ("Looooki", "Simmmm-ba", "B-ING-o").
My dragon won't come when "called", but clearly reacts different when I say "Taco", "Tac", "Hey Tac!" (looks and waits as he knows when I say that something happens like I open the terrarium, or give him food, or take him out) compared to when I say other things (no reactions, or looks a second and continues what he's doing).
Here's the link to the vivarium!!: HabiStat Standard Vivarium Black 122 x 61 x 61cm | Pets At Home theres also an oak one but its the same size and no real difference
Also thank you so much for the help :]

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom