Natural Disaster Emergency Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kFitz

Hatchling Member
That's an awesome idea. The 2008 fires we were evacuated for a few days and given about an hour (which is more time than most) to get out. With all this heat we've had lately, I'm definitely making one of these kits. Between my, my dog, my beardie, and my uro, it'll make getting out if needed MUCH quicker and safer. Now I just need to get a second extra tank...

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ya that was terrifying. My extra cages will be reptariums because I can fold them down easily. For geckos they will be 6 quart tubs. It is scary though because we dont have family out here so we dont have much choice of where to evacuate to.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
I remember doing a post about this a couple years ago (can't find it now, probably deleted as time passed) and we came up with a lot of great possibilities for the things you'd put into an emergency kit depending on the type of emergency you were hoping to be prepared for. Some things I can think of off the top of my head include:

- small tank or cat carrier (transportation and housing)
- spare heat & UVB bulbs with fixtures (although these can be tricky to pack in a kit, you may have to rely on other heat sources and exposure to natural sunlight for a short time until you can re-establish a proper environment for your dragon)
- hand warmers (to provide heat)
- hot water bottle (also to provide heat depending on the situation)
- spray bottle (for misting - bathing may not be possible)
- paper towels (for clean up or substrate)
- baby wipes (also for clean up)
- nonadhesive shelf liner (a comfortable and easily cleaned substrate for your dragon's temporary home)
- soft dish towels/hand towels (to wrap around the hand warmers or around your dragon at night)
- small syringe (to administer medication or pedialyte)
- sharpie markers (to write on the ID tag, or even directly on your dragon if you had to)
- "instant dragon meal" or other dried/canned dragon food
- bottled water
- pedialyte or other suitable hydrating fluids
- cording (as a leash or to make a temporary harness)
- spare harness
- key tags (to attach to the harness for ID)
- hand sanitizer (for you after handling the dragon)

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I never thought about adding my harness to it. I am also going to add a beardie sized fleece blanket. If god forbid something did happen do you think it would be safer to transport her in a carrying case or on my lap on her harness?

kFitz

Hatchling Member
I think a carrying case would be MUCH safer. You'll probably have a bunch of stuff in your car and a lot of commotion going on. In a carrying case you know where your dragon is and that nothing is going to fall on him/her.

I'm in you're same boat as far as no family goes. Last time we had to get a hotel room up north. I've never seen so many dogs in one hotel or on one patio restaurant in my life! The harness is a great idea for getting natural sunlight! Then we wouldn't even have to bother bringing a UV light necessarily (if we get far enough away where there's not too much ash in the air).

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
If my house burns down I have bigger problems than having no uvb....... I hope to God I dont have to go down that road. Instead of a carrying case I might use a tub instead.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Same here reptileaddiction...just this summer we had 11 active fires, 2 of which over 500 homes were lost...two yrs ago over 600 lost to one fire. Hope also i never have to go down that road but having everything together and ready to go if ever the need arises, is a comforting though among chaos. throw the tubs in the back of the truck, animals in my car ..evacuation plans in place do make you feel a bit better about natural disaster. We have yet to have a fire here close to our area, all within 1-3 hours away> but being surrounded by dry prairie in the back of us and mtns in front...anything can happen from tornado to fire.

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wow that is a much worse situation than what I am in. I have mountains but in order to get to my house it will need to burn down other houses. Yesterday when I was thinking about this and making my list a huge wildfire broke out. I am not in any danger but I hope this is not a sign. This is early for us though. Right now i has burned 3,000 acres of back country and has cost 2 million dollars in fighting it. It started by lightning. It has only burned one house down so far.

kFitz

Hatchling Member
ReptileAddiction":2fxt89tu said:
Wow that is a much worse situation than what I am in. I have mountains but in order to get to my house it will need to burn down other houses. Yesterday when I was thinking about this and making my list a huge wildfire broke out. I am not in any danger but I hope this is not a sign. This is early for us though. Right now i has burned 3,000 acres of back country and has cost 2 million dollars in fighting it. It started by lightning. It has only burned one house down so far.

I was thinking the same thing last night when I heard the news! I'm in north county San Diego, not too far from Julian. I was soo glad to hear that the one by Julian was 100% contained, but I agree... I hope this isn't a sign of a bad fire season to come.

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ya it is good they got it contained. I have seen them have something 100%contained and then get out of hand again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom