Nasal swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holo

Hello,
I have a 2 year old beardie who has developed some nasal swelling in the last two days. He has been on crushed walnut shells for the past year with no issue and is fed a mixture of phnoenix worms and meal worms on a large piece of slate in his viv. The swollen area has a grey and raised appearance just behind his right nostril. I gave him a warm bath yesterday and instead of breathing normally, the affected nostril bubbled a bit like he has congestion. He eats collard greens daily and has remained at his normal activity level despite the swelling.

Any ideas as to what can cause swelling like this? Humidity is between 20%-40% depending on weather and his temps are measured with an infrared thermometer reading at 103 on his basking spot and about 80 on his cool side. He's 21 inches long in a 40 gallon breeder tank.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Only one nostril is swollen?
Do you have any pictures of that we could see also? That would be helpful for comparison of the other nostril.
Does it look like it may shed, or not?
It could have gotten retained shed which can cause some internal irritation or dust/debris could also cause some irritation too.
The crushed walnut shell can be a hazard for impaction but it is also dusty, too.

Tracie

Holo

Original Poster
After looking at it again I think it may be that he is started to shed on his face. It is very Greg looking and he is beginning to peel around his mouth some. I have a picture I will post shortly.

Edit: picture. The Greg area just in front of the nostril is grey and raised. It is hard to the touch unlike skin flaking off but he is starting a shed on his face.
iaK2okt.jpeg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, that is what it is looking like, an upcoming shed. That will cause an area to appear swollen in appearance, too.
Before long his entire face will be white, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom