My vet is ignorant need help "update help plz"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I can not find that anywhere here :( does anyone eles know of one thats buyable in the USA? The antibiotics are not in yet so i went and started them on the reptaid (will wait two days to start antibiotics when they show unless the reptaid is doing good) Thorn is MUCH better ate by himself today and isnt so dark. Rose is not doing so good though, shes almost whole body black (norm color is a light grey with pink undertones) and just looks unhappy. got all the stuff that was suggested just waiting till it gets here had to take out a loan LOL but anything for my critters.

Also have some dubias comming this week (GROSS i HATE roaches) so i can give them a good protein source.Rose is still eating babyfood no interest in anything really just sleeps and stares out of her tank looking mad and ill

noella5088

Juvie Member
I'm so sorry that Rose's still sick. When Ali had pinworms and a bacterial infection, my vet gave me two different meds to give to him. Panacur liquid and Albon. Albon's harsh on their stomachs and makes them eat less. I gave him soy yogurt every day, once sometimes twice a day.

If possible, take out Rose and see if you can warm her up. Cover her up with a towel or blanket while on your chest. If she lays on you, she'll have warmth.
With Ali, he couldn't keep his warmth. I put a CHE on him to keep him warm. Have you upped the temps in Rose's tank? It might help her.

I hope Rose pulls through this. Waiting for online meds is difficult and long. Your vet sounds like an *****. I would go through another vet instead of this one. That one sounds like he/she doesn't know about bearded dragons. I'll keep Rose in my prayers.

Keep feeding Rose baby food. Have you gotten chicken baby food?

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
shes been taking squash mixed with chicken babyfood im not sure if its too much or not enough though, she takes between 1tsp and 1 and a half tsp with the dropper, shes not losing weight (bought a scale now in this between them for about 1500$ at this point. both are taking the reptaid as the baytrill hasent come in yet and i figured something is better than nothing at this point. She does bask and the top of her hide is her basking spot so her hide stays pretty warm, i also have a heat pad under the cool side of the tank thats been keeping it at a steady 80 to 84 degrees according to my digital themomitor (the one we use for us but i have to wait till the one i ordered gets here along with the new light bars and ceramic heater and hoods and better therm and humidity gauges) Im not sure if she may be trying to brumate at at this time as she sleeps a lot and hides a lot but she is defenatly staying warm (always warm to the touch). Id hold her more but shes not been socialized and it REALLY stresses her out (petstore beardie) shes not quite as dark this morning and wask on her basking spot this morning instead of her in her hide. Im hoping this means the reptaid is working.

Is her mouth supposed to be yellow inside? its been this color since i got her thought it was normal and just want to make sure, also noticed her back teeth look like they have black at the base of them and i think she is missing one tooth on the right side. if i had a cam id post the pic (dogs ate it) is there a way to use a 3DS game system to post pics here? id love to show my babys.

as far as going to another vet there is none unless i make a 2 hour drive and right now it not possable my car broke down and hubbies car is not real good for anything but in town driving (sputters on highway). So i am stuck with no good vet. That the gods this site is here or i dont think i could have saved thorn and im hoping rose too.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
I'm so sorry your dragons have respiratory infections. I have 2 rescues who had persistent reoccurring RI's.
I have a couple of suggestions if I might.
We all know Baytril is not selective and will kill all bacteria, good and bad. So when giving a probiotic to restore the gut flora, it would be best to not give it mixed with or at the same time as the antibiotic. It's better to give it 3 or 4 hours after the antibiotic dose so you're not killing off the probiotic too. As mentioned above, they need the probiotic daily, every other day isn't enough.

I'm not at all familiar with the PB8 so can't comment on that. I do know BeneBac, soy yogurt,and acidophulis are some probiotics that are given. I have used soy yogurt and it worked well for my dragons. I switched to acidophulis because it was less messy. My dragons can get real messy when giving them their meds and supplements. :lol: I got the acidophulis { for people } at Walmart in the pharmacy section, 100 tabs for $5.00. I crushed the tabs and sprinkled a pinch or so daily into a bit of squash baby food and my dragons took it well 'cause the both love the squash.
I hope your dragons recover quickly. Respiratory infections can be so difficult to get rid of.
Amanda

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will make a trip down to wally world today for that THANK YOU!!!!! I havent started the baytrill yet im waiting to see if the reptaid helps first since the other stuff isnt here and i had to start them on something. Thorns doing a LOT better and today she started to move around and act more like her chickeny self so i think shes on the mend, shes still dark and still gaping a lot but dosent seem to be so icky feeling. if the reptaid dosent heal her after the 10 days ill wait 3 then start the antibiotics.

Nutzrus":2sffjqly said:
I will make a trip down to wally world today for that THANK YOU!!!!! I havent started the baytrill yet im waiting to see if the reptaid helps first since the other stuff isnt here and i had to start them on something. Thorns doing a LOT better and today she started to move around and act more like her chickeny self so i think shes on the mend, shes still dark and still gaping a lot but dosent seem to be so icky feeling. if the reptaid dosent heal her after the 10 days ill wait 3 then start the antibiotics.
You can get Acidophiliz from the Beautiful Dragons site as well- that's what I use for my dragons. It's $5 for 2oz liquid that lasts quite awhile. I try to get everything from that site because I know it's helping their rescue! :)

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
frostyfriend":283hr83f said:
Nutzrus":283hr83f said:
You can get Acidophiliz from the Beautiful Dragons site as well- that's what I use for my dragons. It's $5 for 2oz liquid that lasts quite awhile. I try to get everything from that site because I know it's helping their rescue! :)
frostyfriend,
I've ordered my Baytril from beautifuldragon but forgot they sell other meds and supplements.That's a great idea to purchase the probiotic from there since it is a rescue! Glad you mentioned it and reminded everyone including me :D
Amanda

dragonlover3":3h1lmopl said:
frostyfriend":3h1lmopl said:
Nutzrus":3h1lmopl said:
frostyfriend,
I've ordered my Baytril from beautifuldragon but forgot they sell other meds and supplements.That's a great idea to purchase the probiotic from there since it is a rescue! Glad you mentioned it and reminded everyone including me :D
Amanda
:) You're quite welcome!

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thats where i got my baytrill from didnt even think to look for other stuff :( ill have to go back and take a look at what they have

I do have one more question managed to talk to an actual herp vet (they said by law they couldnt really tell me much) but they did say because her norm color is a very light grey almost white and she is just about black all over its really a bad sign. could someone please explain what this means and how and if i can help her regain her norm color? she is eating well but only when i feed her from the syringe or put the roaches (so very gross) in her mouth, spends all her time gaping and under her heat light. her tank is about 80 deg ALL the time right now do i need to make it warmer?

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Nutzrus":1qevd7eo said:
thats where i got my baytrill from didnt even think to look for other stuff :( ill have to go back and take a look at what they have

I do have one more question managed to talk to an actual herp vet (they said by law they couldnt really tell me much) but they did say because her norm color is a very light grey almost white and she is just about black all over its really a bad sign. could someone please explain what this means and how and if i can help her regain her norm color? she is eating well but only when i feed her from the syringe or put the roaches (so very gross) in her mouth, spends all her time gaping and under her heat light. her tank is about 80 deg ALL the time right now do i need to make it warmer?

I don't get it.... "they said by law they couldnt really tell me much"...... :banghead: .
I'm not at all being sarcastic but where the heck do you live that a herp vet can
say by law he can't tell you much???? :shock:
I have an exoctics vet who is just excellent. I've had multiple....I mean multiple vet
visits with my 2 rescues and he has bent over backwards to educate and help me at
every turn. I can phone conference with him 24/7 for any problem that arises and if
it's something he can help me with over the phone he saves me an office visit. He's
given me reassurance as well as refills on meds over the phone based on my observations.
I must be living in a beardie medical utopia. That said, I do realize there is a gross lack
of experienced exoctics vets.

I can tell you what my vet said about my pale yellow citrus female Moya when she was
so sick and staying almost black dark most of the time. Any stress can cause them to
darken. When they are sick, they are very stressed and can get very dark! It's not great
but it doesn't necessarily mean she will die. Also being too cool can cause them to darken
as they darken to try to get warmer. So my best guess is she is way stressed from being
sick and possibly from being to cold. You said her tank is 80 all of the time now...does
that mean during the day too? If so that can add to her darkening as she isn't anywhere
near warm enough. 80 at night is great for now to boost her immune system while she's
sick but she needs much higher temps than 80 during the day. I'm sure you know this
already and I'm so sorry if I've misunderstood about the 80 temp "all of the time" now.
your first post on this thread you said temps were:
"cool side 78-80 deg
hot side 90-95 deg
basking 103-111 deg"
How old is she? I must have missed that in reading. Your temps look good although it's quite a
span on the basking temp but even so that is more desirable than 80.
Sorry If I've misunderstood about the temp being 80 all the time. I can be dense sometimes :roll: :lol:
After my Moya was on antibiotics for about 3 to 4 days days she started to lighten occasionally
to a more normal coloring as she started to feel better but it took a good week of her being on the
antibiotic for her to regain her normal coloring and stay there.
One more thing that might help, you can sleep her with her head elevated to help her breath better
at night, or if she has a lot of mucus you can sleep her with her head lower than the rest of her to
help the lungs drain. I hope any of this helps! I know how frustrating RI's can be.
I'm thinking about your little ones!
Amanda

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thank you for the info on her coloring issues made me feel so much better!, day temps are
80 deg cool side
95deg hot side
105ish basking

night temp is steady 80 deg and i wish i had your vet the ones around me are money grubbing bleeper heads, the one i talked to is mailing me info so im hoping its usefull and might have some info they couldnt give me on the phone.Still waiting on my new light bars (the good uvb) and ceramic heaters to make a better steady temp in her quarantine tank (its a 20gal long so its easier to make sure it stays warmer) the only good thing about her being sick is shes a piggy with the baby food so she hasent lost any weight (i have a scale i bought just for them) been watching both carefully.

I really want to thank everyone whos helped me here this forum has probably saved my beardies lives and i trully appreciate all of you!!!

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
If she is gaping all the time, then is it possible that it is too hot? What are you using to measure the temps? Probe thermometers need to rest on the surface under the light for a minimum of 45 minutes.

I hope she pulls through for you. Hopefully the UVB, stable temps and probiotics will make her strong enough to react well to the Baytril when it arrives.

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AtlasStrike":33qx7isy said:
If she is gaping all the time, then is it possible that it is too hot? What are you using to measure the temps? Probe thermometers need to rest on the surface under the light for a minimum of 45 minutes.

I hope she pulls through for you. Hopefully the UVB, stable temps and probiotics will make her strong enough to react well to the Baytril when it arrives.

yes im using a probe therm, i let it sit for 20 mins before i turn it on ill let it sit longer though to be extra sure. forgot to say her age its unknown she is 17 and 3/4 inch long though so im thinking shes an adult. got her from the petstore and they had no info on her at all.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
AtlasStrike makes an excellent point about the temp and gaping. 105-ish would be way too warm for an
adult that wasn't sick, a healthy adult should be at about 100*F. That said, when my 2 rescue beardies
had severe respiratory infections my vet said to increase their basking spot temp to 103ish {so that is
what I did} and their night time temps to 80 to 85-ish while they were sick but to be very aware that
the increased temps can and most probably will cause dehydration, so make sure to give extra fluids
frequently. As I'm sure you know you should have already removed any water dish, you don't want water
in the enclosure raising the humidity. If all fails to get her to drink, a quick 10 minute bath will help hydrate
her but it would be best if you can get her to drink as she is already exhausted from being sick. One of
the signs of respiratory infection is gaping other than in their basking area as they try to get air but of course
it is also a natural behavior in their basking area to regulate their temp. I hope your beardie is feeling better today!
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom