My beardie's new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyhawk42

Hatchling Member
I got the large wide Exo-Terra. Here is what Big Apple Herp had to say about heat and light for it:

Hello,

With the Exo Terra 36" tanks you must be careful with heating and lighting that it does not melt the plastic braces on the screen.

We recommend the following

Zoo Med 5 1/2" brooder fixture with a Zoo Med 100watt ceramic emitter controlled on a theremostat (this fixture will fit into one sction of the screen top)

For lighting we recommend the Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome with the Zoo Med 100 watt PowerSun Mercury Vapor bulb. This can be placed in the section of screen in front of the ceramic emitter.

I had already mentioned using an 18" Reptisun 10.0 inside the tank, but I'm not sure they took that into consideration.

The screen mesh is fine, so would a Mercury Vapor bulb outside the tank be enough UV for the dragon?

As for substrate, someone mentioned tiles. Can someone recommend tiles that would match the reddish sandy background and also be easy to clean? Do the tiles help dull the dragon's nails? If so, can you recommend something that would? Those little nails are freaking sharp!

Unfortunately, my body is falling apart (bad back and now bad shoulders), so I have trouble lifting things. Cinder blocks are too heavy. Anything I add to the enclosure should be something I can easily lift or scrub.

Thanks,

Ladyhawk

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Hello :) Tiles do help trim their nails. You can find lots of different colored tiles at like home depot or lowes. I dont know about the light. I have a reptisun 10.0 tube bulb.

Ladyhawk42

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
brittani299":3dncdpx6 said:
Hello :) Tiles do help trim their nails. You can find lots of different colored tiles at like home depot or lowes. I dont know about the light. I have a reptisun 10.0 tube bulb.

Thanks.

I've been sick, so I haven't made any progress yet. Do you just keep the tiles loose? If you have to cut them, will the store do it?

I can't go with cinder blocks because my back just can't handle it. Is there another material I could use that would absorb heat for him? (The tiles may do that, but they will be too low for him to get enough warmth.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, BTW, what kind of harness is that in your picture? Grover is 16+ inches now and I'm thinking an adult harness might be OK for him. Of course, I'll have to measure.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Sorry about you being sick :( You can have the tiles loose. I think it is best so that you can clean them easier. I believe most hardware stores will cut the tiles for you to a specific length for a fee. I know that the tiles I use absorb a lot of heat. You just have to be careful because mine got too hot when I was experimenting with my temps in my new cage and poo Daisys feet got burnt. So just be careful the cage won't get too hot. I got the harness at petsmart for $13 I think. She was about 15 inches in that pic.

Ladyhawk42

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
brittani299":339tunlz said:
Sorry about you being sick :( You can have the tiles loose. I think it is best so that you can clean them easier. I believe most hardware stores will cut the tiles for you to a specific length for a fee. I know that the tiles I use absorb a lot of heat. You just have to be careful because mine got too hot when I was experimenting with my temps in my new cage and poo Daisys feet got burnt. So just be careful the cage won't get too hot. I got the harness at petsmart for $13 I think. She was about 15 inches in that pic.

Wow, thanks for the info. I have some measuring to do.

BTW, does that harness still fit Daisy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom