My beardie hates hornworms... WHAT?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
My dragon Lotus has always been a great eater. She eats her greens and her live feeders eagerly all the time. She's eaten everything from butterworms, dubias, phoenix worms, and wax worms - all with enthusiasm. So I recently orderd her 36 large hornworms (got 45 with overcount, spent about $44 including shipping) from Great Lakes Hornworm, and she WILL NOT eat them! She's eaten only 2 total, one each in separate sittings. The first time, it took us about 5 minutes to get her to eat one. We didn't try to feed her another at the moment. Today it took us 10 minutes to get her to eat one and she refused to eat another. We thought maybe she just wasn't hungry (but that's never the case) so we put a dubia in front of her just to see, and she munched it up in a split second! We tried for another 20 minutes to try to get her to eat another hornworm to no avail. We made sure they were wiggly and everything!! I have never heard of a dragon refusing to eat hornworms... in fact I thought hornworms were premium feeders very high up on the dragon approval list. I've even heard of some dragons getting spoiled on hornworms & refusing to eat anything else. I've never seen Lotus refuse any kind of food, not to mention food of the live variety. What on earth is up with this?? And what am I supposed to do with my $44 in hornworms now?!

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ynevar":27jzopnt said:
Trade with someone else for a feeder she loves?

Good idea... I made a post in the "For Sale" section and also offered the option to trade for other feeders. The item listing is here >>> [ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=174038 f=2 ] if anyone is interested. Ugggghh I can't believe my dragon will eat anything except one of the most premium feeders out there!! :banghead: I really hope I can recoup something from out of this endeavor :|

ynevar

Juvie Member
I hope you can too! I just spent a bunch of money on dubia nymphs and I am hoping the SAME thing... Best of luck finding someone who will quickly snatch them up!!!

sdunfee77

Shoot. My ginger is on a kick now and will ONLY eat hornworms! She went through this a few months ago. She still eats a little greens but snubs her nose at dubia until i get her horns

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
sdunfee77":1czxhofg said:
Shoot. My ginger is on a kick now and will ONLY eat hornworms! She went through this a few months ago. She still eats a little greens but snubs her nose at dubia until i get her horns

Congrats, you win the hornworms! Lol I have them sitting next to me ready to ship out as soon as the Post Office opens, plus your dubias too! :blob8:

szubelak

Juvie Member
when I first ordered hornworms my boys wouldn't eat them either - Same thing with got them to each eat 1 with some pushing and all that etc. The next time I got some I got some smaller ones - like only 2 inch as opposed to the 3-4 inch size and they gobbled them up - once they realized they were gooooooood eats they started to gobble up even the huge 4 inch ones! I know how 1 dragon that snubs his nose at his supers unless he's starving (like hasn't eaten in 3-4 days)

I thought it was crazy at first when mine wouldn't eat them too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom