**Mega Ray Issues** / Megaray RECALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sag

Does not surprise me, I had nothing but trouble with them. After months of unresponsiveness from them, I finally threatened them with taking them to the BBB and posting a BOI thread on them. That got a quick response only to be lied to by them again, simply to get me to hush up!! I have been spoken to rudely, lied to, sent only part of my order, given every excuse in the book, flat out ignored and sent inferior product that is so far from what I ordered it is unbelievable. This is a company that has lost sight of what it used to be and is hoping that people will still buy from them based on past reputation!!!

FATBOYDADRAGON

Hatchling Member
Well i guess i spoke 2 soon .
The new solar raptor bulb burnt out after 3 months.
It is not anything i am doing that is different than 4 yrs ago.( old bulbs use to last 14 to 18 months)
It is pointed straight down in a ceramic 250 watt household fixture.
I took the fixture apart & checked loose or overheated wire & all OK.
I Ordered 2 100 wt powersuns until reptileuv gets a handle on this quality issue.
One thing i did notice is with the old style megaray it was 105 under bulb.
With the new solor raptor it would only get to 95?
This was taken with digital probe thermometer & p1 temp gun.
Mike D.

Mrkngpen

Juvie Member
Yup, I had the same problem with the new bulbs not getting hot enough. I got two and couldn't get them above 92 degrees at 12" measured with a laser gun. Here is my post with UV results from a few months ago.

Mrkngpen":7k4lrdi7 said:
Okay, I got a Solarmeter 6.2 UV meter and I'm ready to report my findings for two of the new Solar Raptor SB 100w bulbs. I got one that was only getting to 90* at 12" and after a couple phone calls and emails, I was sent another. All readings were taken at 12" and after burning in for a least a full day.

The first Solar Raptor read 40uW/cm and 92*.
The second Solar Raptor read 120uW/cm and 92*.

As a comparison, I tested two old Megaray SB 100w bulbs that I had. The age is how long they were used.

A 12 month old Megaray read 85uW/cm and 104*.
An 18 month old Megaray read 60uW/cm and 102*.

I'm really not sure what to do at this point. The Solar Raptor readings are all over the place AND not warm enough to be a basking bulb on their own, which is half of the purpose. I'm looking forward to hearing the reports of the new Trex bulbs from Tracie. After using a high quality MVB for so long, I don't relish the idea of going to a tube bulb. Even a good tube bulb doesn't put out the high UV that the old Megaray's did.

Regarding MegaRay and RetileUV. My recommendation to anyone would be to never consider ordering anything from this company. Trying to order a bulb from them has been a horrible experience for me. They do not respond to phone calls or emails though they promise they will on their website and voicemail messages. They took my money when I placed the order and never shipped the product. It is an industry standard to process a transaction at the time of shipping. I have filed a Paypal claim and a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and they have not responded to either of those. I would claim they have horrible customer service, but the truth is that their customer service is non existent. Sorry for my tone, but people need to know before they too get swindled.

MikeN

Whoa, I guess I missed so much! I just want to add that we *apparently* experienced all this without even knowing, and possibly, some of it had to do with Leo's inactivity. I ordered a 100W SB bulb from them in early 2010, and I don't remember how the glass looked, but it burned out by May, in less than 2 months, that part I remember clearly. I spoke with John, and am fairly positive was instructed to ship it back to them (don't remember all the details), and received a replacement in I think a week or so. Now, that one was definitely a "fixer" as I remember the peeling coating, to which I never paid much attention. Leo had coccidia at the time, so he remained fairly inactive for the most part of that ordeal. The bulb lasted through January of 2011 (still much less than a year), at which point we were on the verge of moving and I picked a SolarGlo at Petsmart, meaning to order another MegaRay after we settle. Thankfully, something kept me from pressing the "buy" button in late march, and after another couple of weeks I saw the announcement, and just now, this. I just can't believe how bad it could get since my first very pleasant experience with ReptileUV in 2008. I just wish I'd kept that bulb, as it was likely still good after a year.
I do want to say that after coccidia was successfully treated, Leo seemed very normal, and was still actively running around the tank by the time the replacement bulb died this January. He didn't experience eye problems, which he did back when I first tried a PowerSun, so I know very well to watch for the symptoms. We were prescribed eye drops that time, and it helped. They looked just like "human" ones.

Anyway, to the state of things as they are. I am now waiting for a PowerSun in the mail, which I'm hoping will be better than two years ago, and I'll also burn it in for a couple of days. But other than that, is there really no good MVB available in the US at the moment?

Also, Leo has become gradually more lethargic after a couple of months under the SolarGlo, so I've had enough and am seriously considering taking matters in my own hands more than ever, and purchasing the tools necessary to make sure he'is getting exactly what he needs. I understand the Solarmeter 6.2 is one of them (is that enough or do I really have to have a 6.5 along?) and a nice temp gun. I've seen one at Home Depot for $29.99 and almost bought it, but saw that its accuracy was +/- 5 degrees C, which seems too inaccurate for our needs. Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive temp gun, and where do I buy it?

Thanks!

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Mike, just bite the bullet and convert to Reptisun 10.0 tubes. They are no more expensive in operation, as you can buy them for $25, and they last 6 months. Amounts to roughly the same as a $50 MVB every year.
I was a big MegaRay proponent several years ago, but after a bad batch of bulbs created some eye issues in my male dragon, I ditched them and never looked back. I did use a T-Rex Active UV heat one time, and it burned out in 5 months. Solor Glo lasted about the same. Figured with all the risks, and my own negative experiences, it was simply time to try something else...once I went with the Reptisun, I never looked back.

As for the UVB meters, the 6.2 will work great at telling you when its time to replace a bulb, however it doesn't measure the full UV spectrum, and as such you won't have any way of knowing if the output from a particular bulb is safe or not. For that, you'll need to measure the UV Index...and so you'll also want to pick up the 6.5 in addition to the 6.2. If I had to pick just one, I would get the 6.5, as it will tell you whether a particular bulb is even safe to use or not, and that in my eyes is the most important thing. Assuming the bulb is safe to use, you can still use it to track bulb decay from new. Once it decays to the point of replacement (usually 50%), replace it. If you can swing both, then do it...as you'll have all the tools needed to asses lighting.

MikeN

Thank you BadCon, well, changing it over would be such a pity, as I just finished a project dome literally this week. It has three independently controlled sockets, so I can fine tune temps and UV, but it is designed for regular bulbs, not tubes :( Obviously, I expected to use a Megaray in it.

On another note, I found Solarmeter 5.0 locally for cheap, would that one be any good?

Edit: let me rephrase that. Would 5.0 be any similar to 6.2 for me to save on that one, and then later add the 6.5? That would be great.

Also, still looking for temp gun suggestions, is the PE-2 from Pro Exotics what everyone uses?

FATBOYDADRAGON

Hatchling Member
MikeN":2dqgolrk said:
Thank you BadCon, well, changing it over would be such a pity, as I just finished a project dome literally this week. It has three independently controlled sockets, so I can fine tune temps and UV, but it is designed for regular bulbs, not tubes :( Obviously, I expected to use a Megaray in it.

On another note, I found Solarmeter 5.0 locally for cheap, would that one be any good?

Edit: let me rephrase that. Would 5.0 be any similar to 6.2 for me to save on that one, and then later add the 6.5? That would be great.

Also, still looking for temp gun suggestions, is the PE-2 from Pro Exotics what everyone uses?

i use the P1 and it works great for me .
I have to agree my 4x2x2 is not set up for tube lighting @ i like the fact that i can use a mvb bulb for uvb requirements & heat,
In the winter i supplement the 100 mvb bulb with a wal mart halogen 50 wt spot bulb to keep temps where need be .
The power sun works great for me on my dragons & redfoot tortoises...
Mike D.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
PE-2 is a nice unit...though there are literally a million different options in that price range, and for not much more. The big kicker is adjustable emissivity, as you'll be reading temps from different surfaces and in order to retain accuracy, you'll want to change the setting. You can find recommended settings for various surfaces online. The PE-2 is adjustable, and it has a laser sight..which also also a pretty big deal.

The 5.0 won't tell you anything meaningful, as you won't be able to extrapolate the UV index on your own, as it uses a weighted score based on different wavelengths. The 5.0 meter doesn't tell you the readings at the different wavelengths...so its essentially useless. This meter would be useful if you were simply looking for the greatest output of UV light...say for example, when installing solar panels.
In reality, the best meter right now for reptile use is the 6.5...and it seems many people are making the switch. Ideally both the 6.2 and 6.5 would give you a clear picture, however during the MVB fiasco not too long ago, bulbs were showing ok to use with a solarmeter 6.2, when in reality the UV index was off the charts and the bulb wasn't safe to use. So if you had to get just one meter, the 6.5 would be the one to get. And apparently the time to get them is now...as the SiC sensor versions are going away, and they are by far the most accurate for low wavelength UVB/UVC...and what are needed to measure a bulbs safety. So my official recommendation is to get the 6.5 and call it a day. You'll be able to track bulb decay, and most importantly you'll be able to asses bulb safety. There is no real recommendation with regards to the UV index and what's safe for a bearded dragon. However people have offered estimates based on real world observations, and the upper limit is somewhere between 6 and 8. Over 10 is downright dangerous, and you'll be hard pressed to find a lizard basking with such a high index in the wild. To things in perspective, there are bulbs on the market right now that have been shown to have a UV index of over 100! These of course are the known "bad bulbs", like various compacts and whatnot. What drives the UV index up that high is non-natural output in the UVC range. Output at this wavelength is cell damaging, and can lead to all kinds of issues (like eye trouble, skin cancer, etc).

MikeN

Thanks again, BadCon, this answers my questions to the t. And just like Mike D, I am pretty much stuck with bulbs until I build a new enclosure :( So for now, I guess I'll get the 6.5 and PE-2 and watch Leo's environment closely.

debs3052

Like many others, I have given up using a uvb-Mega-Ray type bulb. My 4x2x2 tank was specifically set up for one though. Right now, I have a halogen for heat in a dome where the Mega Ray used to be. I also have two 18" strips along the ceiling in the other half of the tank, one on each side. I am using the Reptisun 10.0 in the strips. One of the strips stopped working and I am having a heck of a time finding another to replace it. It was cheap and plastic and very difficult to turn the 10.0s out when it's time to replace.

Does anyone have any suggestions about reliable 18" flourescent strips for the Reptisun? Obviously, I need one where I can remove the plastic cover that usually comes with it.

Thanks!

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
http://www.beardeddragon.co/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_47&product_id=86

I did the exact same thing as you...converted a 4x2x2 designed for MegaRays into something that works with Reptisuns. I ended up using one of these - http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=2122
Designed to work with T8 or T12 bulbs that are 18". Its got a great electronic ballast (no hum or flicker), and lets you place the bulbs wherever you need them. I hung mine from the ceiling of the viv in a way that lets me adjust the height if needed.
IMG_0758.jpg

More pictures here - (first 6 or so) http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/pzev/Basking%20platforms/

debs3052

Thanks! That looks like a good option. Doesn't look like I would have to worry about mounting the housing either.

Do you know if the"box" (or ballast?) can be plugged into a timer?

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
debs3052":217xw8er said:
Thanks! That looks like a good option. Doesn't look like I would have to worry about mounting the housing either.

Do you know if the"box" (or ballast?) can be plugged into a timer?

Yes, mine is plugged into a timer right now and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom