Meet Toto!

Beardie name(s)
Toto
Toto is my new beardie, and I am a new member! He is turning three this year and he is so, so sweet! He belonged to my neighbour, but she decided she decided she didn’t want him anymore, so I got him! I’ve already known him for a while, so now it’s really great that he’s mine! I babysat him for a week or two since his owners where on vacation and I love him, so, so much!

Attachments

• IMG_1856.jpeg
    IMG_1856.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1855.jpeg
    IMG_1855.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1853.jpeg
    IMG_1853.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1768.jpeg
    IMG_1768.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1770.jpeg
    IMG_1770.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1769.jpeg
    IMG_1769.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 27

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Welcome to the forum and congrats, you got yourself a really beautiful dragon. Feel free to ask anything, there are a lot of people here that can help you with basically everything :)

What kinds of lights are you using right there? Lighting is the most important part of caring for those animals

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Toto is my new beardie, and I am a new member! He is turning three this year and he is so, so sweet! He belonged to my neighbour, but she decided she decided she didn’t want him anymore, so I got him! I’ve already known him for a while, so now it’s really great that he’s mine! I babysat him for a week or two since his owners where on vacation and I love him, so, so much!
Welcome to the forum Toto and Co.
From the photos it looks likr your maybe using a coil/compact screw in uvb. If so it needs to be changed to a long tube uvb asap. That still is inadequate for a bearded dragon and will cause health issues at some point.
Also I see your using newspaper as a substrate, that works but it needs to be dried tobthe point of zero fumes before use. The ink they use is strong and very likely irritating Toto respotory system. I am extremely sensitive to strong perfumes and such, I can't read a newspaper because the ink really jacks me up, I suspect it's the same for beardies.
Anyway as mentioned ask about anything at all. And welcome to the forum 🙂

TotoTheBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toto
Welcome to the forum Toto and Co.
From the photos it looks likr your maybe using a coil/compact screw in uvb. If so it needs to be changed to a long tube uvb asap. That still is inadequate for a bearded dragon and will cause health issues at some point.
Also I see your using newspaper as a substrate, that works but it needs to be dried tobthe point of zero fumes before use. The ink they use is strong and very likely irritating Toto respotory system. I am extremely sensitive to strong perfumes and such, I can't read a newspaper because the ink really jacks me up, I suspect it's the same for beardies.
Anyway as mentioned ask about anything at all. And welcome to the forum 🙂
Ok! And how exactly would I dry the newspaper?

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
The ink they use is strong and very likely irritating Toto respotory system. I am extremely sensitive to strong perfumes and such, I can't read a newspaper because the ink really jacks me up, I suspect it's the same for beardies.
Yes, I agree! I haven't seen this in the picture as I was using a small device, but: yes, switch the newspaper out. I'm myself very sensitive to smells and too, I give the online newspaper a strong preference - I avoid printed newspaper - as it irritates my eyes, throat and everything. Same is with perfumes - I only use scent-free things and I have to leave my office windows open a long time after the cleaning crew was there. And I'm "just" a human, not a likely more sensitive reptile which has the ability to smell insects very well that have little to no smell to me, can smell dragon's pheromones and such.
In addition: I also would not use it as dragons tend to lick their environment and especially where they walk regularly.

@TotoTheBeardie For substrate, some people use tiles (the non-slip ones for bathroom floors), some use shelf liner. I personally prefer what is more rarely used (I guess I have seen three people here in the forum using it, including me): natural substrate, which means desert sand. That sand hardens when sprayed regularly with water and drying under the enclosure's lamps. It should not be loose sand (like in a hourglass, sand that you can let run through your fingers - not good!) as loose sand irritates their eyes and respiratory system. If you'd like to use sand, real desert sand (which I use but you might not have access to) can be imitated by mixing play sand with organic soil and "burrowing substrate" (sold for reptiles). Spraying it a bit wet each morning, like dew, and it hardens. I personally prefer it as it allows my dragon to dig, I can nicely pre-shape a landscape (i.e.: a bit up, a bit down), and clean-up is very easy.

TotoTheBeardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toto
Yes, I agree! I haven't seen this in the picture as I was using a small device, but: yes, switch the newspaper out. I'm myself very sensitive to smells and too, I give the online newspaper a strong preference - I avoid printed newspaper - as it irritates my eyes, throat and everything. Same is with perfumes - I only use scent-free things and I have to leave my office windows open a long time after the cleaning crew was there. And I'm "just" a human, not a likely more sensitive reptile which has the ability to smell insects very well that have little to no smell to me, can smell dragon's pheromones and such.
In addition: I also would not use it as dragons tend to lick their environment and especially where they walk regularly.

@TotoTheBeardie For substrate, some people use tiles (the non-slip ones for bathroom floors), some use shelf liner. I personally prefer what is more rarely used (I guess I have seen three people here in the forum using it, including me): natural substrate, which means desert sand. That sand hardens when sprayed regularly with water and drying under the enclosure's lamps. It should not be loose sand (like in a hourglass, sand that you can let run through your fingers - not good!) as loose sand irritates their eyes and respiratory system. If you'd like to use sand, real desert sand (which I use but you might not have access to) can be imitated by mixing play sand with organic soil and "burrowing substrate" (sold for reptiles). Spraying it a bit wet each morning, like dew, and it hardens. I personally prefer it as it allows my dragon to dig, I can nicely pre-shape a landscape (i.e.: a bit up, a bit down), and clean-up is very easy.
I think I might change to paper towels, then, is that a good idea?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I think I might change to paper towels, then, is that a good idea?
Yes. If you want to dry it store it some place warm and dry and if you can open it up and seperate the pages to speed up the drying, but paper towels are a much better option.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete5775
Top Bottom