Meet Lily! + Reminder Tips For Juvenile Raising?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

I want to thank you all for the many years of support with Drogon. Seriously, you guys are so awesome, and I'm so glad I have beardie friends I can rely on! Well, onto the news... I've bought a new dragon named Lily :) She is from a breeder since the people around here had questionable conditions on Craiglist/ Facebook groups.

Here are some pics:

IMG_20240325_141945.jpg
IMG_20240325_141947.jpg

She's a feisty little girl so far! Can you guys remind me, how often to feed a juvenile? Is it 2x as much as they want? I have BSFL, small mealworms, waxies for an occasional treat (she loved em!) and small dubias. Also, I did notice some stuck shed, but she's still really hyper from all the driving. Should I wait to mist/bathe her?

Selkie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hi Everyone!

I want to thank you all for the many years of support with Drogon. Seriously, you guys are so awesome, and I'm so glad I have beardie friends I can rely on! Well, onto the news... I've bought a new dragon named Lily :) She is from a breeder since the people around here had questionable conditions on Craiglist/ Facebook groups.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 88268 View attachment 88269
She's a feisty little girl so far! Can you guys remind me, how often to feed a juvenile? Is it 2x as much as they want? I have BSFL, small mealworms, waxies for an occasional treat (she loved em!) and small dubias. Also, I did notice some stuck shed, but she's still really hyper from all the driving. Should I wait to mist/bathe her?

Selkie
She us beautiful ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ’•
I don't give baths unless they are dirty, or have poop on them. Unless they drink in the bath there is no point.
Be careful with the dubias that you aren't feeding them protein, just veggies and such. Giving feeder dubias protein can contribute to gout in beardies. I know how much work and love you put into Drogon so just a heads up to maybe avoid an issue with Lilly that can be avoided ๐Ÿ™‚
Juveniles I do feed twice per day, just don't let her gorge herself (don't want to make her fat, just give her enough for growth)
CONGRATZZZ btw on your new companion, she couldn't have asked for a better home to come home to!

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Hey Selkie,
Lily is really beautiful and she got herself a really good owner.
Don't worry about the shed, it will work itself out. Stuck shed is a myth in my opinion anyway (or pretty rare at least).
Try to let her settle in before handling her too much, those little ones scare so easy ๐Ÿฅฐ

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Congrats ! Thanks for the pics, she doesn't realize it but she landed in the lap of luxury with that beautiful palace. :)
I would feed insects ONCE a day, about 10-20 at most depending on size, and greens once a day. There's always a little wiggle room with the feeding but you don't want to over feed her for fast growth and in the process spoil her so she only waits for her favorite food and rejects healthy veggies. You also don't want her organs to grow too fast, slow + steady should be their growth.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
@AHBD @Chris. @xp29

Hi guys! Thank you so much for the kind words! I really appreciate it! Today I just gave her what she wanted so she can start to trust me. We did 1) 1 tsp of mini BSFL / afternoon: 20-30 roaches (baby dubia) and then a few mealworms while I was training her that hand no mean danger + bite xD She's still a bit skittish so I sit with her every 30 minutes or even in passing her enclosure just talk to her, say her name. She's still puffing a bit and acting like a wild monkey, bouncing from shelf to shelf xD

Hubs is picking up kale, collards and/or dandelion-mustard based on what's at the store

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
@AHBD @Chris. @xp29

Hi guys! Thank you so much for the kind words! I really appreciate it! Today I just gave her what she wanted so she can start to trust me. We did 1) 1 tsp of mini BSFL / afternoon: 20-30 roaches (baby dubia) and then a few mealworms while I was training her that hand no mean danger + bite xD She's still a bit skittish so I sit with her every 30 minutes or even in passing her enclosure just talk to her, say her name. She's still puffing a bit and acting like a wild monkey, bouncing from shelf to shelf xD

Hubs is picking up kale, collards and/or dandelion-mustard based on what's at the store
Sounds like you and Lily are off to a good start ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ‘

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thank you to everyone who is supporting me.
Unfortunately, my family is not into reptiles, nor animals in general, so they don't get how she makes me happy and are instead giving me grief about having another pet. I literally have 3: lily, my cat Jasmine, and an African clawed frog and it's the end of the world apparently.

Any advice or stories on how to handle this negativity would be appreciated.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
That's a tough one, people that haven't kept pets generally don't get it.
Personally I'd bombard them with cute pictures till they submitted to the cuteness ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
That's a tough one, people that haven't kept pets generally don't get it.
Personally I'd bombard them with cute pictures till they submitted to the cuteness ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Ha! I tried.
Even my mom is like, I dont care about a lizard. I'm thankful I have the community to get it.
My aunt even said it's too early to "replace" Drogon. SmH

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Ha! I tried.
Even my mom is like, I dont care about a lizard. I'm thankful I have the community to get it.
Some people will never get it. I think it's usually beat to just "agree to disagree" and point out that while the pets have no impact on them, your animals have an insanely large impact on you.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Ha! I tried.
You didn't replace, you simply extended your love to another deserving soul ๐Ÿ™‚

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. ๐Ÿ˜”
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. ๐Ÿ˜ด
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom