Meet Broxigar (with pictures!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! So, I am Jenna. I've slowly been working up the courage to post this introduction.

Brox is at estimate 2 months old, and I've had him for just under a week. I bought him from a local pet shop. We are very blessed in Australia, in that most of our pet shops take good care of their reptiles. Brox came with all his toes and all of his tail, thank goodness.The guy who spoke to us about Brox had a two year old beardie of his own and offered a few good tidbits of information. Thanks to everyone on this site, as I've been creeping around reading everything I can to be prepared. I have two blue tongues aswell, an 8 year old named Bilbo and a 2 year old named Bombur. So our spare room has now rather become the reptile room.

Hopefully this picture works. This is Brox.
IMG_1809.jpg

He had his first bath yesterday, which we completely forgot to film or take photos of. It really calmed him down, and he sat on my chest and licked me a couple times afterward. Little charmer, he is. :blob8:

Brox loves lying in the weirdest positions...I can't even describe some of the positions he gets himself in. (It was night when these were taken, I apologise for the darkness and low quality.
IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

Part of me wishes he was already fully grown, so that I don't constantly feel I'm going to hurt his tiny little body. But I know that one day I'll be looking back at these pictures and reminiscing over the day he fit into my palm.

If there is anything you guys think I should know about caring for a bearded dragon, please feel free to offer your expertise. I've done days of research and reading, but it never hurts to know a little more.

From the menagerie, thanks for reading about Brox! I'll be updating with more photos as I take them.

Here's a few more.
IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

:D

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Oh, My Goodness!!! You also have BTS's!? :blob5: I was so torn when I found Myah. (my beautiful beardie) BTS or beardie? Beardie or BTS? :? It was sooooo very hard to choose as I knew I could only afford the very best for one little reptile. You're very lucky. :wink: (I know I made the right choice, I just love anything with scales.) Your baby is priceless. Love the pics! Welcome to the site! :mrgreen:

earthmarktwo

Original Poster
morphmom":1p7luvl0 said:
Oh, My Goodness!!! You also have BTS's!? :blob5: I was so torn when I found Myah. (my beautiful beardie) BTS or beardie? Beardie or BTS? :? It was sooooo very hard to choose as I knew I could only afford the very best for one little reptile. You're very lucky. :wink: (I know I made the right choice, I just love anything with scales.) Your baby is priceless. Love the pics! Welcome to the site! :mrgreen:

I am exceptionally lucky! My mum bought my first BTS for me, when I was 10. Which of course, leads to the wonderful moment a BTS gets named Cleo Arby Saurus (curse you, 10 year old me!) and she also purchased Bombur too. Brox is the first reptile we have that I have paid for, which is a wonderful feeling. The blue tongues are much cheaper to care for, in my opinion! They're also super hardy animals. Sometimes it is exhausting having three reptiles in the house though, and we also have two dogs. My mum is a champion though, and she helps me out whenever she can. Doesn't complain when I steal the veggies to feed to the menagerie. :oops: She loves them all just as much as I do, even Brox (she didn't want me buying another reptile, but she fell in love with his personality before we'd even left the shop with him.) The expenses get evenly spread between me and my mum, so the lizards get the best care possible.

I can't imagine how hard it must've been choosing, but just quietly I think Beardies are a little more exciting :D

morphmom

BD.org Addict
The truth of the matter is that I was very selfish when it came to Myah. :oops: I have a wonderful family however nature was only able to give me one child. (very thankful :D ) Now that my daughter is getting bigger and more independent, I felt like I needed something that just wanted to cuddle all the time. I Googled 'lazy pets!' :lol: Both the Beardie and the BTS popped up. I went CRAZY researching them both. :study: I wanted/needed a sign though. As it happens, I was on kijiji and Myah just kinna appeared. Hmmm... I clicked the add and she was located in my very small town! A 2min drive! Even better, she came with her set up which had the perfect temps! My husband tolerates Myah, my daughter will hold her but gets board. Myah is just what I needed. Mine. (although, if you were to ask her, and if she were able to talk, I think she'd say I was hers.) Trainning me everyday! :lol: (sorry for the long post, reptiles do that to me :roll: ) On a side note, I love the name '10 year old you' came up with :wink:

earthmarktwo

Original Poster
morphmom":2jcnv3cr said:
The truth of the matter is that I was very selfish when it came to Myah. :oops: I have a wonderful family however nature was only able to give me one child. (very thankful :D ) Now that my daughter is getting bigger and more independent, I felt like I needed something that just wanted to cuddle all the time. I Googled 'lazy pets!' :lol: Both the Beardie and the BTS popped up. I went CRAZY researching them both. :study: I wanted/needed a sign though. As it happens, I was on kijiji and Myah just kinna appeared. Hmmm... I clicked the add and she was located in my very small town! A 2min drive! Even better, she came with her set up which had the perfect temps! My husband tolerates Myah, my daughter will hold her but gets board. Myah is just what I needed. Mine. (although, if you were to ask her, and if she were able to talk, I think she'd say I was hers.) Trainning me everyday! :lol: (sorry for the long post, reptiles do that to me :roll: ) On a side note, I love the name '10 year old you' came up with :wink:

Thank you for the long post! I love to read about other people's reptiles, and I tend to write very long winded things about my own reps. I certainly understand that need for cuddly things. I was inspired to get Bilbo when our school had a visit from a bunch of reptiles. We got to hold them and hear about them. I knew straight away that I wanted one. Though I was too young then, and a lot of the care went to my mum, I'm still glad I got Bilbo.

Beardies take a lot more intense care than blue tongues, in my opinion. Blue tongues strike me as a lot easier to look after/feed. But the extra care means you get a great cuddly pet with great personality. I love the name Myah! It's so sweet. I didn't even realise it until I was typing up my signature that all my boys have names starting with B! Cleo's name doesn't stick very well, my mum still calls him Cleo. I determinedly attempt to call him Bilbo, but Cleo is pretty much his nickname. If he is a boy...it's hard to tell! I like boy's names, so they're all just kind of 'he' until proven otherwise :D

We are definitely slaves to our reptiles, but we could never have it any other way. They get under your skin, and it would never be the same without them :D

earthmarktwo

Original Poster
Just given Brox a bath, so here's a few more pictures. The first is horrible quality, but this is how we found him this morning.
IMG_1818.jpg

And just a couple from after his bath. This little guy has won my heart.
IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

:blob8:

I ventured out today for a quick trip to the pet shop we purchased Brox from, too. His heat lamp died yesterday, and though there's one coming in the mail, I didn't want to wait. It's been too cold lately to let him go the whole weekend without warmth. While waiting in the line at the checkout, this woman behind me was watching the snakes & reptiles. She then says, "Why do they even need two lights?" and her partner replies, "They don't need any lights. That's just the snakes. Lizards don't need them." :banghead: As soon as I was out at my car I was ranting to my mum about owners who have no idea how to care for their reptiles.

For some reason, it just rubbed me up the wrong way. But...maybe I've just been spending too much time on the Beardie Rescue forums. Anyone else feel the same way when they hear this kind of stuff? :(

On a happier note, Brox seems to quite enjoy his baths. He doesn't try to run, but if he gets my fingers in his claws he refuses to let go. He lifts up his tail and licks his lips. It melts my cold heart to see. His little legs go all stiff though, so part of me wonders if maybe he's not quite enjoying it as much as I think? Opinions?

morphmom

BD.org Addict
earthmarktwo":27zbf14s said:
Just given Brox a bath, so here's a few more pictures. The first is horrible quality, but this is how we found him this morning.
IMG_1818.jpg

And just a couple from after his bath. This little guy has won my heart.
IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

:blob8:

I ventured out today for a quick trip to the pet shop we purchased Brox from, too. His heat lamp died yesterday, and though there's one coming in the mail, I didn't want to wait. It's been too cold lately to let him go the whole weekend without warmth. While waiting in the line at the checkout, this woman behind me was watching the snakes & reptiles. She then says, "Why do they even need two lights?" and her partner replies, "They don't need any lights. That's just the snakes. Lizards don't need them." :banghead: As soon as I was out at my car I was ranting to my mum about owners who have no idea how to care for their reptiles.

For some reason, it just rubbed me up the wrong way. But...maybe I've just been spending too much time on the Beardie Rescue forums. Anyone else feel the same way when they hear this kind of stuff? :(

On a happier note, Brox seems to quite enjoy his baths. He doesn't try to run, but if he gets my fingers in his claws he refuses to let go. He lifts up his tail and licks his lips. It melts my cold heart to see. His little legs go all stiff though, so part of me wonders if maybe he's not quite enjoying it as much as I think? Opinions?
Type in 'pet store rant' in the search box. You will be FLOODED with frustrating stories. (I've written 2 :( ) What a little ham! It's the Brox is say'n 'What!?' when he's smooched up against the glass too cute :wink:

earthmarktwo

Original Poster
In this instance, it definitely wasn't the pet store's fault. They keep their reptiles in quite good conditions - no sand, proper lighting, well fed. The workers also know what they're talking about, which is nice. I get so frustrated when I read those stories about pet shops completely mistreating and abusing the poor hatchies. It's an appalling thing, and if I ever got my hands on those people you can be sure there would be blood. :angry5: I look at Brox, Bilbo and Bombur and I just can't imagine ever neglecting them like people do.

And yeah, he's definitely got the 'What are you looking at?' face on there. He gives me the stink eye when I put him back in his viv after baths and cuddles. He'll hang onto my hand right until the last moment, too, as if to say 'No, don't put me back. More cuddling!' I'm very blessed to have such a cuddly little guy, the breeders definitely did something right with his early care. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom