mealworm and superworm ( BEETLE QUESTION )

Status
Not open for further replies.
:help: i have grown about 10-12 mealworms and 10-12 superworms into beetles! How do i tell if theyre pregnant? Do i seperate them if theyre pregnant? How long till they lay eggs and they hatch? THANKS SO MUCH :D

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
BUMP!
I would like to know the answer since I'm trying to start a super colony as well :)

moose9

Hatchling Member
Here is a good link with info and video and there is also info on mealworms on the site as well. I breed both kinds of worms. To see which of your superworm beetles are female and pregnant, look for a spread wing tip showing white. The white shows when there pregnant and they can't close there wings completely. Put your superworm beetles in a container of wheat bran or oats pr a mixture with a carrot and they start laying within days. Good luck.

HYPORollo

Juvie Member
one thing i will add do not put anything in the cup when you are changing them from worm to pupea the more stress the quicker they change and it takes 2 weeks to get to the pupea stage and another ten days to turn into beetles i have 500 at a time going through this process so im not just talking from what ive read and this is the fastest way to get them to change

moose9

Hatchling Member
HYPORollo":360e4 said:
one thing i will add do not put anything in the cup when you are changing them from worm to pupea the more stress the quicker they change and it takes 2 weeks to get to the pupea stage and another ten days to turn into beetles i have 500 at a time going through this process so im not just talking from what ive read and this is the fastest way to get them to change
I have done both ways and didn't notice any difference. I have noticed mine pupate quicker from worm to pupa in about a week and change to beetles in 7-10 days. Maybe a temp thing, just my observation. Its nice not having to buy feeders.

HYPORollo

Juvie Member
yea its a temp thing mine are a little cold cause i have no room in my warm room do to all the incubators and roach bins i allso do silkworms and hornworms so im kinda tight on room right now but since i sell feeders now it is so nice not to have to run to the pet store and spend all that money buying feeders now i just go there to buy toys for my animals like branches and plants lol and bones and pull toys for my dogs but either way breeding your own feeders is always a plus just make sure you get all the info you can on what ever bug you decide to do

moose9

Hatchling Member
When I was checking into different feeders, I checked on silkworms and hornworms and I just didn't have the room or the time for those 2 projects. I just do supers and roaches for now. Was doing mealworms, but found supers were easier to manage and a better feeder. The space for my critters and feeders is about 100 sq. ft. You mention cool temps, and my supers won't be morphing as quickly now that the weather has cooled. Just a month ago, temps in my room would 86°F-92°F, now I have to use a space heater at night to keep the temps above 65°F. So now my average daytime temps are 76°F-80°F. Pet store now as you mention is just for supplies/toys. My lps is considering buying my supers and roaches cause they don't want to mess with the breeding process. I like raising my own feeders, simply because I know what I have and what my animals are eating. You never know what your getting from a pet store. And yes, people research before starting a project. Know what your getting into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom