Making Tree Branches Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamin99

Juvie Member
I've been searching and searching for the answer and seem to be getting conflicting results here :? .

Wash the branches in a bleach solution and then let them dry? Some say to scrub them with a mild soap and then soak in hot to boiling water. Others mention stuffing the branches into a oven at 350 for 5-10 minutes? What is considering proper procedure? For the type of branch in the length I need I would be spending around 40+ dollars at the store. If I grab a limb from a tree I can save tons of coin and get a nice new look in my tank.

Thanks in advance!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
To be on the safe side, especially if you are bringing it in from the outside.. I would soak it (in a bathtub) with some bleach for 15 mins. Then rinse it off really really good... after that bake it in the oven at 275 for 40 minutes.. this will kill ANYTHING that may be living on it :D

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
The above posters recommendation is a good one, but add another hour to the baking time. It takes awhile for the heat to penetrate wood, killing what may be living inside it.

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you very much for the quick and detailed replies. But I have another question, I was trying to get a branch to reach from one end of my viv to the other which would be a 48" long branch (give or take a few inches I suppose) That won't really fit inside any oven I have ever seen or owned. What would you recommend I do if I do go for a branch that long?

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Just do a long bleach soak. Make a 10% solution of bleach and soak the log in it for 45minutes to an hour. You'll probably have to soak it in fresh water once done to get some of the bleach smell off. Make sure to rinse it really well.

I bought my beardie yesterday, and the girl had put a log from some forest in with him, and i found 2 BIG nails hammered into it, well in reach of the beardie. What goes through some peoples mind when they do this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My name is Faith
Top Bottom