Major aggression problems after traumatic experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockHound

Hatchling Member
Well, first a little background for those that did not see my last post, titled "Sierra saw a bird!"

I had started taking Sierra outside on a harness for some sunshine. This had gone fine for several trips. She wouldn't even walk anywhere, just lay and look around. I figured she was just overwhelmed and that was normal. Cars would go by - no biggie. Well, then a bunch of damn squawking crows flew overhead, and she went berserk. For the first time in her entire life, she bearded and opened her mouth. The birds were gone in a few seconds, and she turned that behavior onto ME, even lunging at me and then trying to run away. I took her back inside and figured she'd forget about it in a few days.

NOPE. Now she hates my guts. She displays the same behaviors pretty much every time she sees me now. If she is being lazy, not so much, but if she is in an active phase, the bearding and opening her mouth is instant. I'm careful with where my fingers are and make sure to touch her a lot, and she hisses and acts indignant. Sometimes, she actually starts lunging at me, and she does a funny butt-wiggle behavior that I'm guessing is aggressive. I used an inanimate object to see if she'd actually bite (she had never even tried to bite anything before) and let's just say if I'm not careful, I may end up taking a trip to the hospital.

Today, I had to pick her up with a towel. I held her until she calmed, petting her and talking to her. Eventually I could let her out of the towel, but I don't trust her anymore than she likes me at this point so I haven't held her within range of my face. Continued petting, and then put her back. She was fine and relaxed for a second, and then BAM, like a light switch she was back to displaying at me. If I didn't work all day maybe I could keep taking her out, calming her down, putting her back, and then taking her out again at the first sign of aggression. I hope there are other ways I can break this, like taking her out later in the day when she is lazier, or even after lights out.

I'm worried that the behavior is directly tied to me, since I was there when it started and the aggression was redirected towards me in the beginning. Has anyone dealt with something like this? Is there a way to turn it around with time?

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Wow,

I have been bit twice by my dragon, but only cause she thought I was food. It hurts, but never required a trip to the hospital, so that's good, and hopefully this will never happen to you.

And I have experienced aggression with Emmy,but she was never serious with her assaults. I had her outside once, and she got really scared as well, not sure what is was, but she ran away from me and hissed when I picked her up, then proceeded to beard and scatter. Came away with
a few scratches, but she was fine the next day.

I have also had several open mouth displays, but she always closes it when I pet her under the chin. So I think she is just playing around. I have also had several hissing fits in my direction (after bath time), but she calmed and I have never been bit once during any of her aggression attempts.

So unfortunately, I do not have any experience with a dragon who is angry long term, but have a few ideas. You could maybe leave a worn shirt in the viv overnight and for a few days so that the dragon is used to the scent again. If the dragon has the scent in the viv all the time she may calm more when you actually arrive, as your approaching scent will likely no startle the dragon at that time. Maybe you could also try hand feeding, showing your dragon that you are in charge of the food (kind of like showing her to not bite the hand that feeds). I would start with tweezers, or a light set of leather gloves, just in case the dragon does dare to bite. With the set of gloves (if you are worried of a bite) you can also lightly pet under the chin if the dragon hisses/or shows you the open mouth. If I do this with Emmy she always backs down. It's worth a shot, that is all I got.

You are also doing very great things on your own, the towel, the talking, the waiting until she calms, all great things. Try not to show too much fear though, as I think animals are very keen to pick up on that, and keep showing you who is boss.

One other thought I had, how old is she? She may be going through hormonal changes, it's not just the male dragons that have trouble with this, and I find that Emmy is more apt to display these types of aggressive behaviors just after winter brumation as well.

Good Luck!

RockHound

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions! I really should get some gloves so I don't have to be "fearful" with my hands. At first, I was so shocked by the sudden aggression that I just didn't know how to react, but I'll be steeling myself for it now.

Sierra is almost five, and has never had an issue like this. Until this incident, she had never so much as hissed. I figured she had just "discovered" herself and that she could do those behaviors, so they probably didn't really mean anything and would go away with time. That just doesn't seem to be the case now though. I really think she is associating me with the fear she felt when the crows flew overhead. :(

I've got some strategies. It's a start! I really hope I can turn this around. Going outside was supposed to be fun - I'd hate to think I ruined my dragon's disposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom