Lost a claw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider8ait1994

Hatchling Member
My eldest bearded dragon has lost a claw on one foot entirely. I just noticed it today and cannot recall whether he had the claw yesterday or not. I have retraced where he has been today and did not find the claw at all.
He doesn’t seem to be too bothered by it and didn’t seem to be in pain when I was examining it so I have applied some watered down betadine and a makeshift bandage I made from gauze and plaster tape. I’ve attached some images of the injury I took with a macro lens as well a photo of the bandage.
The claw in question was always damaged from well before I got him and was a yellowish color with no black bit in it and didn’t seem to grow at any noticeable rate. This is my first time encountering a claw loss and I would appreciate any advice.
He’s healthy and is eating and basking as normal and walking just fine. His younger brother (house separately in a different room) Has a vets checkup next week so I am planning on showing the vet the photos.
Mainly I just want to know if this is a normal thing that can happen with a damaged claw over time and if there’s anything else I should be doing aside from applying antiseptic, keeping it clean and keeping an eye on him?
EDIT: That hole in his toe has always been there since before I got him and a previous vet he visited checked it out and told me that there wasn’t any problem with it and that it was likely the result of an old injury.
101939-8624275070.jpg
101939-7968158549.jpg
101939-8294431348.jpg
101939-4969129558.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since there was an issue with the area all along, it's possible that it was looser than normal and got caught on something that pulled it out. If that's the case then it may not have been painful (or as painful) as otherwise. If there was not a lot of bleeding then the skin around it may already be healed over which would be good. It's not uncommon for them to lose nails that get caught on things or have toes nipped by tankmates (especially when they are young). If the toes heal over and don't get infected, it doesn't seem to cause them any issues in the long run. Do keep cleaning and disinfecting the area and be on the lookout for swelling or shriveling of the tissue around the toe which may indicate infection setting in. It's a good idea to have the vet take a look at the photos and examine if they feel it necessary. For now just keep an eye on it and keep doing what you've been doing. Hopefully it will just heal over and not be a problem going forward.

Spider8ait1994

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Will do. Thanks for the input. I had heard that It can happen on occasion if the toe or claw was already damaged which was the case here. I never found any blood save for what is visible in the photos and that seemed to be pretty much dried.
I’ve also heard that they can potentially regrow the claw if the damage to the toe isn’t too bad and if the root of the claw is still in place. I’m assuming that kind of roundish shape you can vaguely see in the centre of the wound right in the bottom of the hollow is the root so with any luck in time he may have a claw there again.
If it doesn’t grow back I kind of know what to expect as his brother came into my care with most of the toes missing on one foot so he’s only got one claw on said foot. Strangely enough my eldest dragon here has lost the claw on the exact same foot as his little brothers toeless foot. Guess my pair have bad luck with their left feet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't seen them regrow their nails, but that's not to say it can't happen. You are likely to see the skin just grow over the nub and heal over. As long as it doesn't get infected then all should be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom