Living Without Eyes: Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few of you may remember, at the start of the year I took on a little beardie with microphthalmia; meaning she hatched without developed eyes.

4 and a half months on Charlie is doing very well. She has to be hand fed every day but she loves her roaches and veggies. I have recently been bell training her, because she was using her nose to navigate around objects and no longer associated my touching the roach to her nose as food.

Charlie has always been an adventurous little dragon, enjoys climbing anything and exploring but still uses my hands as a security blanket :) I've been giving her extra attention so that she doesn't get bored too often - she now recognises my voice and a couple of phrases I use to let her know when she can come out and when her food is on the way.

All things considered she is a strong, healthy girl and very happy. A couple of recent photos:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's really sweet and amazing. Good for you + Charlie. You're doing an exceptional job ! :)

PeppersGirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks AHBD :)

INReptiles she has tiny closed eyelids (can 'pop' them like any beardie, but they're too small to open). The vet had a close look and said he only found skin, which means they probably stopped developing early.

PeppersGirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It would be, but being blind doesn't seem to affect her mental state or overall health. It's the reason I thought she had a good chance... otherwise she would have been put to sleep.

I'm still amazed at how well she does, getting around as easily as any beardie :)

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I remember Charlie's story. It's wonderful that you gave her a chance. It sounds like her quality of life is excellent...she compensates for her lack of sight in other ways, and has your help. I'll bet that the both of you are very close.

PeppersGirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She is more than a little spoilt. And she's certainly attached to me anyway, it can take a while to put her back in her enclosure when she's clinging to fingers/racing back up my sleeve :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is absolutely wonderful news about Charlie. :D
Maybe you could make a video for us sometime just to show us how well she gets around, basks, etc.
I am so happy she got a chance in life!

Tracie

PeppersGirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys :) Charlie is a little sweetie, loves to be cuddled and made a fuss of. Funny thing but I sometimes think she's easier to care for than Pepper (especially come breakfast time... the males are too picky lol!).

I have been hoping to make a decent video of her soon, trouble is she's so cheeky and I usually have my hands full just keeping up without camera :roll:

And I’m still looking for other cases of microphthalmia if anybody knows of one... mostly for interests' sake as I haven't heard of any yet that survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Godaxus
Top Bottom