Lights Necessary During Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
Hello, I have a bearded dragon that is a few years old. He brumates for a good 3 months without eating or anything the whole time. I am going on a trip for about a week for the holidays. I am obviously not going to have anyone feed him or anything so is it ok to just turn the lights off completely? I know he will stay brumating if it is not warm. I know some people who let their dragons brumate outside the cage. I do not want the lights on for safety purposes. I can keep the whole house above 65-70 degrees. If I leave the lights on I will have someone come every few days to make sure they do not burn out but I do not want him to come out of brumation while I am gone. Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Leaving the lights off will be fine, since you will be leaving the house a comfortable temperature.
Since he has been brumating, he should be fine while you are gone. If he hasn't shown any signs of coming out of brumation, definitely leave the lights off.

Tracie

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! I know from last year that he will not come out of brumation in less than perfect condition because last year I was gone and his lights burned out. The lizard sitters changed his bulbs but when I got back I failed to realize that the bulb I had on hand was keeping the cage much too cold. I didn't realize this till he had been in brumation at least a month longer than usual...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome. :D
Well, that is true, having it cooler during that time will definitely encourage lethargic behavior & or brumation which is perfectly fine. As long as he is healthy he will be happy sleeping for a little while.

Have a great trip.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cinnabunn
Top Bottom