Light question *again*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momto3boys

Sub-Adult Member
OK Im still a little confused about the lights...

The Mega Ray's I know they have to be 12" away from the lights...right?

The ReptiSun 10.0 they have to be 6" away from the lights?? Is that correct?
So if you use the Mega Ray, you cant have anything in the tank that would make them higher than 12" ??

And the ReptiSun, you have to be able to get them 6" away from it?

So where my enclosure is 24" high, basically if we use the ReptiSun, then we have to have something that is as high as 18" and if we use the Mega Ray we can only use something as high as 12"...and I mean something for them to climb up on, a piece of wood or a rock....

Is this right?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that's correct. However, if you want to use a MVB, the 100 watt needs to be at LEAST 12" from the basking spot. If your beardie's home has stuff that gets them closer to the mvb if it's sitting on the top of the screen, you can go here: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-light-fixtures/510303/zoo-med-reptile-lamp-stand.html.

If you want to use the reptisun 10 tube, those work good also, but you'd have to have a lot of stuff getting your beardie close enough to the lamp. The basking spot needs to be between 6 to 8 inches. Bob mac (who developed the t-rex and sells the Mega Ray) likes things hotter than is recommended here and likes the reptisun 10 more like 4 to 6 inches, so going with 12 inches for the MVB's and 6 inches for the reptisun tube is good.

The reptisun 10 tubes should be replaced after between 4 to 6 months of use. The MVB's (from what I've read) don't need to be replaced for at least 12 months. Last year when we were useing the reptisun 10 strips all day Speedy's appetite decreased after we'd used her strip for 4.5 months. When we replaced it, her appetite picked up after a few days. I hope this helps answer your questions.

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom