Ladies & Gentlemen, I would like to introduce: Thor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamNHL

We just recently got a Bearded Dragon, his name is Thor. Not exactly sure how old he is, we are guessing he's about 9.5 weeks or so. We had been looking at beardies for a few weeks and kept seeing this little guy at a PetSmart. The lady there said he had been with them for a little while, she said had taken a liking to him handling him everyday she was there. He is missing all but 1 toe on his back left foot and the tip of is tail. I'm guessing that's why no one wanted him.

Our daughter fell in love with him the first time she saw him, and out of all the other we looked at in other shops she kept saying how she wanted him.

A friend gave us a deal on an extra 40gal breeder tank he didn't need (he has 2 BDs). Then we ran face first into the wall of confusion and miss information that surround Bearded Dragons. Lighting, substrate, feeding, ect... For the first 2 weeks we just used some retile carpet for his substrate, we just got 2 18" tiles for the bottom of his enclosure now.

As far as lighting goes: We went with the Zoo Med Heat & UVB combo pack that was suggested at one of the chain petshops. From what I've read and gathered the UV coil light is not recommended at all. We haven't had any issues with the heat light, the temps seem to be spot on. Looks like my best to option as far as UV light would either be: mail order the Arcadia D3+ T-5 22 Inch 24 Watt *12% Desert UVB (along with the t5 fixture) from http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22t5hofihouw2.html or pick up locally a Zoo Med Retisun T8 tube 10.0 UVB and fixture. Price wise they both are nearly the same, the only real factor is shipping cost and convenience of replacement bulbs. I'm leaning towards ordering the Arcadia setup. What do you think? What size bulb would be good for our enclosure, it's 36" long?

Here are some pictures:
bd-thor-01.jpg

bd-thor-02.jpg

bd-thor-03.jpg

bd-thor-04.jpg

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Hi, welcome to the site for beardie lovers! :D I can't help you much for which light to use, the arcadia or reptisun. But those eyes do not look healthy at all. I don't know how long you've had the lizard or the coil UVB. But turn the coil off. It is hurting his eyes, that is why they are slightly closed. And leave it off until you can get a new correct UVB. It is better to be without UVB then with bad UVB. Question, were his eyes half closed like that when you got him? If so, he may need a vet checkup. I just care for everybody's dragons. Other than the light, cute little lizard and glad you fixed the setup. :D

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to our friendly forum :) It's sweet that you took home that poor unwanted cutie. I'm sure he will turn out to be a real sweetheart. I personally use the Reptisun 10.0 tube, from petmountain.com (25$) and it works amazingly. I dont know about the Arcadia, as I've never used it. I second the notion of turning off the coil. If you want to get him some uvb until you can get your setup, just take him outside in a tall carboard box he can't climb out of. 1hr of natural sun is equal to almost a whole day of Vivarium uvb.

Congrats and again, welcome!

TeamNHL

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I ordered the Arcadia bulb and a fixture today. Hopefully it will be here early next week.

I never nearly noticed his eyes squinting like that. Not sure if it was just from taking his pictures or what. I'll pay more attention to him tomorrow. How active are BD's typically through out the day? Ours does lots of laying around, only really moving about to change laying locations. He perks up when some one walks by, and gets real active when it time to eat crickets.

Hopefully we didn't cause any damage to him using that build for so long. :banghead:

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
It looks like it should be easily reversable :) Babies are usually pretty active- im sure he will perk right up once you get the right bulb in.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
BeardieMommy3991":1wgq32rs said:
It looks like it should be easily reversable :) Babies are usually pretty active- im sure he will perk right up once you get the right bulb in.

Yes, I agree. And my young lizard is crazy active. The eye squinting looks like eye bulging which my have to do with blood pressure. If they eye bulge for longer then ten seconds than there is a problem. I read that from a care sheet on here. Beardies usually eye bulge to get the shed skin off but it doesn't last longer than ten seconds.

TeamNHL

Original Poster
UPDATE:

Well it's with a sadden heart, we would like to let everyone know that Thor is no longer with us. I passed away today.

We are not exactly sure what the cause was, my guess is it was a combination of many factors. The thing that gets me the most is all the miss information that is floating around out there. All the companies selling products, marketing and sales people pushing items that could have been harmful to him. Everyone and their brother saying they are experts all with conflicting information. I only wished I found this site before we start the process of getting a Bearded Dragon, I'm sure things would have turned out better.

We are going to clean everything up really well, setup again (with the proper equipment), and after a period of morning maybe start looking for another little guy to welcome into our home.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Im so sorry to hear that little Thor didn't make it. :( I just know little mr. god-of-thunder is looking down on you from the stormclouds, zapping them away to make you a bright and sunny future. It's hard to tell why he died, but his life(while short) was spent opening your heart to beardies, and paving the way for another little one to live happy and healthy.

Many virtual hugs from toothless and I.

RainMaiden

Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Thor :(

Just a suggestion for future reference: Those dial thermometers are junk. They are highly inaccurate and only measure the ambient air temperature. A digital thermometer with a probe is the way to go. That way you can put said probe directly on the basking spot to get the most accurate temp.

TeamNHL

Original Poster
I knew that about the dial thermometer, we mainly wanted the humidity dial. They came together in a pack. We used my Raytek Digital IR meter daily in the enclosure. I use it with my RC car racing, it's just as important to keep an eye on the brushless motors, esc, and lipos temps. A lipo battery fire is no joking matter. Once they ignight they really can't be out out, until they burn up.

When we are ready for a new little guy, I'll post up new pictures along with specs on the whole setup. Just to make sure everything will be cozy.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
So sorry about Thor, man he was a cutie...
Anyway, feel better soon it's hard to lose
someone you care about.

Many hugs from me and Vash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom