lab results are in

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewl495

Juvie Member
So I got our lab results back today and it said >30 pinworm >30 coccidia at first I was wondering if it was a 3+ because I've only ever seen 1+ through 4 ever mentioned. Then I did a search on here and someone said it was a 30+ count but I can't find that info anywhere else. What do these numbers mean exactly?

I posted about my dragon in the infectious disease also....sorry about the double post. I just want to understand what these numbers mean.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That count should be low. Normally it is measured per gram when testing, but it can greatly vary on how it is done in the labs. If all they saw was 30 on the entire slide then that is nothing to worry about. If they saw 30 on a single grid then that would be numerous.
Maybe you could call them & inquire a little more about the counts, etc.
Is your dragon exhibiting signs of illness?
Did they prescribe any Albon?

Tracie

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She id give me albon for the cociddia instead she gave me bractrim. Which is a silt drug but I've always read and heard of albon being given. As for the lab I'll try and find out because he's not showing symptoms of being I'll at all. The vet said she would have expected diarrhea with these results.
The lab results state:
Oxyurid sp ova (pinworm) present many(>30)
eimeria oocysts present many(>30)
in the comments it's states in cases of acute or chronic diarrhea consider testing for other protozoal, viral, and bacteria agents.
This vet has always been pretty conservative with treatment but I'm concerned about her choice bractrim.

My breeders vet uses Ponazuril so if my vet won't prescribe this I will go there for treatment.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So, the levels are higher than 30, I wish I knew how much.
He is not having diarrhea or showing any illness? It he levels are somewhat high I would recommend treatment if it needed.
The Bactrim is sometimes used for coccidia but if you have an option to use Ponazuril I would use that drug.

How is he doing today, is his appetite good?
The doses look good & so do the frequency/duration as well. Have you started the treatments yet?

Tracie

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I called the lab yesterday and they were closed. What I stated above is just what is on the paperwork I got from the vet. I will call my vet office tomorrow to find out more.
I haven't started him on the bractrim yet and I'm not going to, I will get the Ponazuril instead. I did go ahead with the panacur since she's doesn't usually treat for parasites unless 4+ levels are seen.
The breeder I got him from offered to do a fecal to see how high the counts were but I kinda hate to take a fecal over there with all their dragons. It would probably be fine but just makes me feel bad.
Kratos isn't showing any signs of illness but he didn't eat much yesterday morning before I gave the panacur and I expected him not to eat much after. I guess he could be a little stressed because I took out his favorite wood basking spot and put paper towels down just in case. Poor baby has to deal with all these changes, medication, and probiotics in just two weeks of us having him and he's still not completely settled in with us yet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I posted on your other thread also.
How is he doing today, when you expect to start him on the Ponazuril then? I think he will do well on that drug, it only needs a few doses to work.
Also, his stress levels probably increased his coccidia levels also & they may naturally decrease as his stress levels go down when he gets settled in more with you.
I hope Kratos is doing better soon.

Tracie

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":nc1l4s1u said:
Hello,

I posted on your other thread also.
How is he doing today, when you expect to start him on the Ponazuril then? I think he will do well on that drug, it only needs a few doses to work.
Also, his stress levels probably increased his coccidia levels also & they may naturally decrease as his stress levels go down when he gets settled in more with you.
I hope Kratos is doing better soon.

Tracie

He seems to be doing well. His stool was still somewhat formed but it had a little mucus in it. He's did eat a lot this morning so that makes me happy. I'm really hoping to start him tomorrow on the Ponazuril but if my vet wont give it to us then I will hopefully get it Tues. Our breeders vet is the one that does prescribe it and he is in another town. I will be there on Tues so if my vet says no tomorrow then I will call him right away. I will either take Kratos to see him or I will give him the lab results, whichever way he will do it.
Oh and I still don't know the true meaning of his lab results I was going by what was said on this thread...http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=155527&start=15

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The vet didn't answer my questions today and she doesn't give out Ponazuril so he's going to the other vet for treatment. Kind of bummed but I hope she will look into Ponazuril as a treatment option. We shall see.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry the vet doesn't dispense the Ponazuril for you!
So is he going to be able to find another vet that does?
How is he doing today, is he eating pretty well? Sorry that his stools are still not quite right.
I am surprised that they changed the way that they report the test results.
I hope that Kratos feels better soon!

Tracie

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He's doing good and in fact his stool looks perfect today. He's still not eating a ton but he is eating. He's down to 40-60 feeders instead of 70+ feeders a day which could also be due to him shedding. I've been giving him parazap the last few days, so I think that along with the one dose of panacur is helping. He goes to the other vet tomorrow, it was the earliest I could get him in. So he should start the Ponazuril tomorrow plus he still has 3 more doses of panacur. I will check with you tomorrow on the dosage.
One thing I have noticed is that he has been easily startled the last couple of days, poor baby!! It really bothers me I don't want him to stress out to much. I have been getting the full beard with mouth open until he realizes it's me. At least he calms down as soon as I start talking to him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Julie,

The dose on the Ponazuril is fine, he should hopefully get rid of all of the coccidia.
If he is going to shed soon then his appetite may decrease due to that anyway. A lot usually don't eat as much when they are preshed.

The parazap definitely helps so along with the panacur, he should start to improve quite a bit for you.
Let me know how the vet visit goes.
Too bad he has been a little more aggressive. He should calm down once he feels better.

Tracie

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Fecal test came back clear. However, after giving meds I can't get the urates to return to normal. They have a pink tinge to them and feel either hard or like they have bits of sand in them. He had a blood test Mon and I should get results soon. I will be doing X-rays next payday. Vet is wondering if calcium uptake in a concern. I'm worried about kidney issues.
Kratos is now on slate tile and is 7 mons old 440 grams 17.5 inches
I'm giving a bath every other day
Giving 6 ccs of salad slurry everyday(just blended greens and veggies no supplements)
Still feeding live feeders every day with dusting in mornings cal 5x a week vits 2x a week

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, so the Ponazuril has really helped out then I hope?
At least his appetite is doing good so far. Maybe try to get more oral fluids into him to help out the hardness of his urates also.
I hope he is feeling better!

Tracie

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Darn it was trying to repost not edit sorry about that.....
Fecal test came back clear. However, after giving meds I can't get the urates to return to normal. They have a pink tinge to them and feel either hard or like they have bits of sand in them. He had a blood test Mon and I should get results soon. I will be doing X-rays next payday. Vet is wondering if calcium uptake in a concern. I'm worried about kidney issues.
Kratos is now on slate tile and is 7 mons old 440 grams 17.5 inches
I'm giving a bath every other day
Giving 6 ccs of salad slurry everyday(just blended greens and veggies no supplements)
Still feeding live feeders every day with dusting in mornings cal 5x a week vits 2x a week

jewl495

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Lab results say everything is fine. :-/the vet wants to keep an eye on him and go with soft body feeders for a while. Unfortunatly he doesnt care for worms. TracIe if you see this can you give me your website info? I think I'm going to go with Liquid calcium if you think that might be something we should consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom