Kinda scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

littledevil

I'm a newbie to all of this so bear with me. My boyfriend recently bought 2 bearded dragons. They are about 3 months old right now. Today he brought them over to my house. Being around them didn't bother me, it was just when he put one in my hand I got scared, especially when it wanted to run up my arm. I admit they were interesting to look at while they were in their cage but I couldn't help myself but be frighten when it was on me, or it got loose. I don't know how much I'll be around them, I don't go to his house because he has other pet I'm deathly afraid of. I'm trying my best to be receptive to them, it just not something I've ever been around. Any suggestions?

NavyxWife

Hatchling Member
You really have nothing to worry about. Because they are so young, they like to run around a lot more. They will climb up your arms and find the warmest spot on your body. Make sure that when you do hold them, you are low to the ground. Since they love to run around so much at that age and are very fast, they're prone to jump. Jumping from too high of a place can injure them severely and cause death from internal injuries. You just need to get used to them. As they get older, they will calm down some. Just don't be nervous because like other animals, they can sense nervousness & fear. Hold your hands out, stay low to the ground & if they run... they run. Just keep an eye on them. Don't let them scurry off into a spot you cannot get them back or into a corner with wires. Just put your hand in front of them & guide them back to you. And be careful when you pick them back up. You don't want to just grab them by their bodies or tails, they're very fragile at that age.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Are you scared of them, or what could happen to them?

If it's them, then there's no need. BD's are some of the most docile animals ever. In the off chance they do bite, when they're that age, you've had worse paper cuts. Seriously, they have trouble tearing off pieces of greens.

If you worried about what can happen to them. Block off anything they could get into, just like baby proofing, and stay low to the ground.

and how much does this boyfriend mean to you? I'm just kidding. I was a little nervous about their feet at first (and my chameleon's feet STILL creep me out). Maybe try wearing a long sleeve shirt when you handle them. If you can't feel their feet it might help you gain a little confidence with them.

littledevil

Original Poster
I'm scared of them. How it felt against my skin creped me out for sure. A big part of it too is their close proximity to snakes, which I am so scared of beyond belief. I think maybe once they get older and aren't as jumpy and active I might be better around them. These little boogers would have ran a mile in 10 secs today if we'd let them.

Paperdaisies

Hatchling Member
Am I the only one who really wants to know what the boyfriend's other pet is she's deathly afraid of? :lol:

I had the exact same problem when we first got Phoenix, and I live with her! Make sure your boyfriend doesn't pressure you into holding him, because that was one of my biggest problems. My boyfriend would call me a baby, etc... I waited until my boyfriend was off at work, and it was just me and Phoenix. I used her basking rock to get her into the tub, and once I finally got her off of it, she still didn't like the water, so I just picked her up out of the tub. It's a lot easier once you get to the point that you can pick them up on your own. Just be calm, and think of them more like babies than snakes. I love babies. Not so big a fan of snakes.

ChinelleKitten

Hatchling Member
in comparison to snakes, Beardies don't have that forked flickering tongue if that creeps you out they have a cute little ones :D and watch for them doing their little bum squiggle when they're trying to get comfy at bed time. Once they squiggle into the crook of your arm or beside you or, as mine likes to do, into the side of your neck lol you may just love them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom