Kiera's Tail--Please look!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffsmama

Sub-Adult Member
I was snuggling with Kiera this evening, and noticed her tail was dark at the tip, and looked like it had a constriction. I was able to rub some shed off, but it looks as thoght the tip is "dead".
Here are some pics...

100_3092_1799.jpg

100_3085_1792.jpg

100_3083_1790.jpg

Do I need to get the tip of her tail removed or will this fall off? Will it spread up the tail? There are no open areas, and her tail has not been pinched at all...I am sure it was retained shed that I didn't notice before tonight. What can I use to prevent retained shed on her tail again? Is it possible that this is infected inside her tail and can move up her body to her organs? I am really worried right now about my sweet girl. She has been so healthy and growing so well. She has been totally fine all day. She ate well today and her belly has been creamy white...no signs of stress or pain at all. I was able to get the shed off, and then I rubbed a bit of olive oil into the area. Please advise!!! I feel so awful that I didn't notice this before...I honestly do not think it looked like this yesterday...she is out with me every day for part of each day, and then again at night to snuggle before bed. I should have noticed it if it had been like this before this evening.
Thank you all!!
Cindy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Cindy,

It should not develop into tail rot since it has no open wounds. Though, necrosis can set in at that site because of the constriction. Just make sure the retained shed is off if you can. The end will most likely dry out & just shrivel up eventually then fall off & that should be the end of it.
I don't think it will travel up the tail since there is no infection. It would only do that if there was more retained shed & the circulation was continuing to be cut off.
You can use aloe vera gel or olive oil on the area to help with any retained shed. You could probably even use a very thin layer of petroleum jelly also for moisture if needed.
It's not your fault, sometimes these things happen. At least you noticed it & are taking care of it now. It shouldn't get any worse now that you are treating it.

Tracie

Livey

Extreme Poster
Both my dragons have this, i was told it was nothing to worry aboutt and that it had just been caught, most likely when it was younger with the baby beardies,
I was told just to leave it,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom